No announcement yet.

San Dimas Kills Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strats are the best guitars ever made and all others are teh looooosers!
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

But the Les Paul is so superior... It is made of Mahogany, and has fancy inlays and binding and a set neck and humbuckers and stuff, how could anyone like the Strat better?

I have no idea, but I do.

Comment

Well you play better with a Strat..You play the last fn notes pretty easy..and your back..oh your back..is payin'you gratitude
        Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

I like my soloists better than my So-Cal, but my So-Cal is still amazing.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by K.Dee View Post
            Well you play better with a Strat..You play the last fn notes pretty easy..and your back..oh your back..is payin'you gratitude
            So, the Soloist is even easier to play the last few notes on... So how could anyone love a bolt-on more than a Soloist?

I don't know, but they do.

I have a nice Custom Shop Charvel that feels, in your hand, pretty much like a Pro Mod.

Compared to a Soloist, I like them both. I would have a hard time picking one over the other. Likely if the house was burning down and I could only grab one on the way out the door, it would be the Soloist, but I might just stand there and burst into flames trying to decide...

Comment

A. So, Jazzy, you're saying the ProMods feel just as good as Custom Shop Charvels?

B. The question isn't which one you'd save, it's which color Soloist, or which color Charvel???
              Blank yo!

Comment

A. Not exactly. I mean, the neck backshape and thickness is pretty much the same.

I would imagine though, vs. a 1-piece maple Custom Shop Charvel neck, that a Pro Mod with at most a crown and polish would feel just as good. I don't see why not... I don't buy that "There's just something about the Custom Shop..." angle. It is or it isn't. If you like the shape and the frets are level and shiny and slick... :dunno:

B. Um... That's two questions. Definitely bursting into flames...

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  So, the Soloist is even easier to play the last few notes on... So how could anyone love a bolt-on more than a Soloist?

I don't know, but they do.

I have a nice Custom Shop Charvel that feels, in your hand, pretty much like a Pro Mod.

Compared to a Soloist, I like them both. I would have a hard time picking one over the other. Likely if the house was burning down and I could only grab one on the way out the door, it would be the Soloist, but I might just stand there and burst into flames trying to decide...
                  I'm reffering to the LP vs Strat eternal battle

Other than that of course you can shred better at the higher register with a Soloist or with any neck thru than a bolt on,i mean thats the main purpose of the neck thru construction in my opinion
                  Last edited by K.Dee; 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM.
                  Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    I don't see why not... I don't buy that "There's just something about the Custom Shop..." angle. It is or it isn't. If you like the shape and the frets are level and shiny and slick... :dunno:
                    After you've weeded out all the crap that they use in cheapo guitars like Mitey Mite parts, I would only say that certain pieces of wood just have "that magic." After that, its construction quality and fit and finish (and lets face it - even these Custom Shop pieces aren't getting rave reviews for fit and finish).

And a good crown and polish is only going to last so long depending on how much you actually play the thing.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      After you've weeded out all the crap that they use in cheapo guitars like Mitey Mite parts, I would only say that certain pieces of wood just have "that magic." After that, its construction quality and fit and finish (and lets face it - even these Custom Shop pieces aren't getting rave reviews for fit and finish).

And a good crown and polish is only going to last so long depending on how much you actually play the thing.
                      I'm not understanding the point you're making here... :think:

Comment

I have been saying this since the first batch came out, but I pick up my '80 pre pro, my '84 pointy head and any of my 3 new production models that have been slightly modified and dialed in and I have ZERO issue with the production models and notice ZERO drop off in tone and playability.

Comment

I'd take any of my 3 pro mods over a soloist. I never liked the neck's on soloists. they don't have the right feel for my hand. The Charvel's aren't too thick or thin. They just feel right.

Comment

I have noticed that the pro mods vary in weight alot. I have one that weighs 7.4lbs and I had one that weighed 8.5lbs. I know that for me the lighter one plays and sounds much better. I will from this point foward search out the lighter ones. FYI- I know that it has been stated that the trans finish models use two piece bodies that are supposedly lighter. I had a Taxi yellow that was two pieces( you could see the body seams). It weighed 8.5lbs and felt like a concrete block was hanging around my neck. I think that is kinda heavy for a strat style guitar. The necks on all 5 I have had felt pretty much the same. A few were a little chunkier then the others? The search continues. Love the light ones. The search continues.!
                            Last edited by Predator1; 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                              I have noticed that the pro mods vary in weight alot. I have one that weighs 7.4lbs and I had one that weighed 8.5lbs. I know that for me the lighter one plays and sounds much better. I will from this point foward search out the lighter ones. FYI- I know that it has been stated that the trans finish models use two piece bodies that are supposedly lighter. I had a Taxi yellow that was two pieces( you could see the body seams). It weighed 8.5lbs and felt like a concrete block was hanging around my neck. I think that is kinda heavy for a strat style guitar. The necks on all 5 I have had felt pretty much the same. A few were a little chunkier then the others? The search continues. Love the light ones. The search continues.!

I'm the complete opposite. Besides the Parker Fly, I've never been into light weight guitars. To my ears, a heavier guitar sounds sooooo much better. My SC1 is the heaviest of my pro mods and sounds the best. It's the same with LP's. Gibson likes to make chambered LP's these days, but if you play a non-chambered, non- weight relieved LP, they sound MUCH better. Maybe it's just preference.

I do agree that the weights vary a bit.

Comment

I'm a Soloist guy, so that's obviously where I come down on this, but some of the SoCals I've played were fantastic. Others had rough fretwork, but then I've played some neckthru Jacksons with the same problem. Frankly, the fact that the production Charvels are so good and so cheap makes the high prices of the custom pieces and the bolt-on USA Jacksons seem a bit ridiculous.

The neck shapes on those SoCals really are that good. They feel frighteningly like the '80s bolt-on J/Cs. If they would make a 24-fret version, there's no way I could resist.

Comment

Working...
                                X