What's coming next then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's coming next then?

So, the 8th batch of this current run of USA productions will be the last.

For the follow up, there is talk on other threads of the 'semi custom' production option akin to the way Carvins are sold. This seems like a logical next step but what would it cost the customer? Would it be somewhere between the price of a custom shop and the price of a USA Production? The extra administrative, slowed production and supply chain costs would need to be factored in, even if the range of customized options were to be fairly limited and the materials/hardware used were the same spec as the USA pros.

So, what if this semi custom thing is the wrong guess? What else could it be?

I'll throw in the first alternative:

How about a two-year run of USA production pointies - a repeat of the Japanese 'model' series from the '80s but, this time, with no quarterly changes?

Does anybody have other guesses as to what could be coming next?
    Last edited by alanhindle; 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM.

Originally posted by alanhindle View Post
    So, the 8th batch of this current run of USA productions will be the last.

For the follow up, there is talk on other threads of the 'semi custom' production option akin to the way Carvins are sold. This seems like a logical next step but what would it cost the customer? Would it be somewhere between the price of a custom shop and the price of a USA Production? The extra administrative, slowed production and supply chain costs would need to be factored in, even if the range of customized options were to be fairly limited and the materials/hardware used were the same spec as the USA pros.

So, what if this semi custom thing is the wrong guess? What else could it be?

I'll throw in the first alternative:

How about a two-year run of USA production pointies - a repeat of the Japanese 'model' series from the '80s but, this time, with no quarterly changes?

Does anybody have other outside the box guesses as to what could be coming next?
    How about just random things with Charvel printed on it. You guys would eat that shit like it was candy. Like old cassettes players, right? Instead of being shitty and old, now they are shitty and old and have a nice black charvel sticker .

Seriously though, we need to take a step back. There's word that they have big plans and we could spend time dreaming up crazy shit like they're going to open a shop on mars and make some customs out of alien anus's, but we simply don't know. Until someone drops the bomb. Until then, enjoy your new charvels or your old ones. I'd love some old toothpaste logo re-issues, but the problem is that re-issues are really just a lack of creativity. It was cool with the strat heads because they are guitars that got an almost cult status love for them. Not because they were shitty and lost in time, but because they are short supply. Pointy heads are a dime a dozen. Kind of like the RG550 and 770 reissues. Nice guitars, but they are selling them half the price so that someone can remember what it was like to have one the same, only not exactly the same and twice the price of an original one in mint condition. They should try something new with Charvel. I don't know about you guys, but as much as i love old guitars and basically anything made in the 80's, i think it's good to have new stuff.

Comment

lol what happened to charvel bass guitars?
      hope the next run isnt a run of bass guitars :/

Comment

While anything is possible and the semi-custom thing would be very cool, I just don't see that approach being an easy sell within the FMIC corporate structure. Especially given that the USA Production guitars have been built by Fender line employees. (Very well, I might add.) I think the Charvel "batch" concept worked well to drum up excitement for the brand again, and reestablish its viability at a new, lower price point. Essentially, it helped justify to FMIC corporate honchos that a USA production version of the Charvel brand was a justifiable investment of their time and money.

So I'm thinking something along the lines of how Fender Strats are currently offered is more likely. There will be different levels of Charvel models offered - like the highway one, standard and deluxe variants of Strats, maybe with different hardware and PU specs. Several colors offered for each model, maybe maple & rosewood, but no options otherwise. And, then, every once in a while, Charvel will do some special variant model, too - like the road worn, vintage spec, etc Strats.

Then again, WTF do I know? That's a wild-ass edumicated guess.

Comment

It would be great if they offered them in a Carvin-esque way. With Carvin's prices too.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            It would be great if they offered them in a Carvin-esque way. With Carvin's prices too.
            Yes, this would be major kick ass.
            Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
            www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              While anything is possible and the semi-custom thing would be very cool, I just don't see that approach being an easy sell within the FMIC corporate structure. Especially given that the USA Production guitars have been built by Fender line employees. (Very well, I might add.) I think the Charvel "batch" concept worked well to drum up excitement for the brand again, and reestablish its viability at a new, lower price point. Essentially, it helped justify to FMIC corporate honchos that a USA production version of the Charvel brand was a justifiable investment of their time and money.

So I'm thinking something along the lines of how Fender Strats are currently offered is more likely. There will be different levels of Charvel models offered - like the highway one, standard and deluxe variants of Strats, maybe with different hardware and PU specs. Several colors offered for each model, maybe maple & rosewood, but no options otherwise. And, then, every once in a while, Charvel will do some special variant model, too - like the road worn, vintage spec, etc Strats.

Actually that sounds pretty interesting, but then again they would just be american stratocasters with the same basic levels of options, but with a charvel sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                How about just random things with Charvel printed on it. You guys would eat that shit like it was candy. Like old cassettes players, right? Instead of being shitty and old, now they are shitty and old and have a nice black charvel sticker .
                HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Actually that sounds pretty interesting, but then again they would just be american stratocasters with the same basic levels of options, but with a charvel sticker.
                  How can you continue to say that. the necks on these are nothing like a strat. Except for both necks being C shaped that's were their similarities ends. frets, finish, radius, rolled edges, and trem are all very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    How can you continue to say that. the necks on these are nothing like a strat. Except for both necks being C shaped that's were their similarities ends. frets, finish, radius, rolled edges, and trem are all very different.
                    Cause as far as it goes for anyone else, put it next to a Fender Strat with a floyd on and you have a customer who doesn't give two shits about neck profile, to him they look the same. To those that are trying to buy something new, it's kind of hard to pick when they all look the same. You dig?

Comment

To those that are trying to buy something new, it's kind of hard to pick when they all look the same. You dig?
                      That would make sence if they sold these at guitar center and it was a kid looking to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

Very educated guess, I agree that they will probably structure them, but only time will tell.
                        Ratt & Roll

Comment

I like the 'semi custom' idea, but I think they would be smart to maintain a production model or 2, even if it is a lower line. I started playing Charvels because I saw them next to the Fenders, tried one out, and was blown away. If I had had to order one, if they weren't at the local store, I (and others) may not have ever played one.
                          https://soundcloud.com/benjammin420/funkapus

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                            That would make sence if they sold these at guitar center and it was a kid looking to buy.
                            You know you were a kid once upon a time and i bet you anything you knew about Fenders and Gibsons and you wanted one too. If you saw a Charvel next to it, you'd just assume it's a knock off. Kids are customers, and you might not care, but the guys at fmic know how to sell their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                              You know you were a kid once upon a time and i bet you anything you knew about Fenders and Gibsons and you wanted one too. If you saw a Charvel next to it, you'd just assume it's a knock off. Kids are customers, and you might not care, but the guys at fmic know how to sell their stuff.
                              Ummm....no. When I was a kid every rocker I cared about was using Jacksons and Charvels. They were so cool, and Fender/Gibson was so 'not cool.' If I saw a Charvel next to a Fender I would know the difference.
                              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                              Gotta get away from here.
                              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                              X