Mid 90's San Dimas IIIW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 90's San Dimas IIIW

First off, I promise pics are coming!! I just got this today, and just came back from my luthier with the setup.

So supposedly, this is a San Dimas IIIW, from 96. The guy I got it from swears up and down its a 96, but Im guessing a 95, so I am here to ask the experts more about this axe, here are the specs:

-Purple Flame transparent finish.
    -Supposedly Rosewood neck, "although, to me its way too light, and seems like pao ferro, and the pao ferro was offered in 95, so thats the first reason I think its a 95, brazilian rosewood would be a stretch, I think, but I wish "
    -Wilkinson trem
    hum sing sing Don Lace pickups, "although the humbucker is actually 2 pickups together, and there is a coil tap switch for that pickup, or humbucker"
    -Crazy Birdseye maple neck
    -Sperzel Tuners.
    -24 fret, mother of pearl inlays.
    -Serial is 950672

So, what do you think, possible custom shop, or production model?

Like I said, no later than tomorrow, pics will be up!!

It's a 95(by the 95 in the serial number). they were made by the custom shop, but it's probably a "production model". always wanted a purple quilt from these years myself.

Comment

Those Charvels from 95/96 are incredible guitars. Major congrats on getting one. There was a purple one like the one you describe not too long ago on ebay. Post those pics ASAP.
      Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
      www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
        Those Charvels from 95/96 are incredible guitars. Major congrats on getting one. There was a purple one like the one you describe not too long ago on ebay. Post those pics ASAP.
        Thanks fullmetal Its probably the same guitar actually, as the one I got was the one that was on ebay, but he had it on craigslist too, so thats how we hooked up. I will have the pics up tomorrow

Comment

Here's my 95.....
          It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel....

Comment

Allright, as promised, sorry its a day late, yesterday was hectic. Here ya go!!

Comment

Awesome! Looks great. I'm sure you're enjoying it.

Comment

Ok, so a few weeks later, and the honeymoon is over, here is an update, and a question.

Overall, I love this axe. The killer birdseye maple, with the 1/4 inch slab of pao ferro is incredible, and is one of the nicest necks I ever played.

The downside to the axe, by far is the pickups. they are the Don lace pickups, and they totally blow. I guess the neck and middle is ok for what they are, but the bridge is just pure garbage. No articulation, no sustain whatsoever, just sounds totally dead. I want to say that its not even a real humbucker, as its 2 single coils together, so its noisy too. Its interesting for a shred guitar, they would go this route with this pickup.

Anyway, I have decided I am going to swap it out. I will probably leave the neck and mid, as I dont use those that much anyway, but have decided on a Duncan Full Shred humbucker, in green That should look pretty cool, and automatically give the name, "the Joker", to the axe

So my question, any opinions, thoughts, anything about this pickup? I would love to here from anyone that has it what they think.

EDIT: Now Im thinking of also throwing in a Duncan 'lil 59 in the neck. I love my hobby, but sometimes it gets expensive, lol.
                Last edited by steviekool; 04-10-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Sorry I just threw up in my mouth thinking about a green pickup in that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Sorry I just threw up in my mouth thinking about a green pickup in that guitar.
                    You really think its a bad idea? The pictures dont show its true colors, Its very purple, not reddish like the picture. Purple and green usually go together nice:idea:

Comment

Stick with black. The idea of a green pickup also makes me want to vomit.

Comment

Those are such great guitars.
                        Congrats on what looks like an absolutely killer one!
                        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

You really think its a bad idea? The pictures dont show its true colors, Its very purple, not reddish like the picture. Purple and green usually go together nice:idea:
                          Only if it's Christmas. I am a huge purple guitar fan, I have had at least 12 purple guitars(still have 3). I only like black, white, cream, and zebras in purple guitars. Zebras are my favorit. Black/white in the purple guitars on the blue side and black cream for the redder purples.

Comment

Working...
                          X