Installed Brass Big Block Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Brass Big Block Last Night

Hey guys....I know this has been covered here quite a bit in the past...but being that I'm an old Charvel guy playing new Charvels...and it's been a while since I've been playing guitars with Floyds...I recently came across floydupgrades.com. And then this month's guitar world did a review...so I figured, why not....there aint no way I'm gonna spend the big bucks on a Titanium block for a Korean made floyd...but the 30 some-odd dollar brass block was definitely worth a shot. So here's my review of the whole process. Let me just preface by saying, I've never taken apart a floyd bridge because I've always dreaded putting it back together.

Anyway...I was really impressed with Adam's site and the instructional videos (not to mention the endorsements of some pretty well known players). So my first step was to email the site and ask which block to buy....I didn't know which size to get. Within half a day, I got a response...was told to get the 37mm. So I ordered that, got the replacement springs, the block bolts, the trem stopper, and a replacement spring claw.

Within 3 days, I got the parts...and since it was Friday night, I figured I'd tackle this project on my SD HSS. There's no way I was going to do this on my SD Telly...cause that guitar is goddamm perfect as it is...at least for me.

Well...unlike Adam....who did the whole upgrade in three 7 minute videos... I started at 9pm and about 5000 4-letter words and 5 hours later, everything was back together...more or less. I did install the trem stopper...I guess it helped with re-installation..not sure The one thing I did really nail was marking the saddles properly, because I did not have to re-intonate. Amazingly, the guitar was perfectly intonated when I put it back together...or at least really close.

There were a few things that didn't go right...first, I think my neck may have gone out of adjustment a little....but I kinda expected that, what with removing all the strings...also, I didn't plan on keeping the trem blocked, as I like a floating bridge, so I removed the trem block right away...at least once I got the strings back on...so at the point in Adam's instructional videos where he starts re-setting things up, I kinda went off on my own.
    I did like he said, and added an extra spring for the re-setup...but the problem I had...and what I still don't understand...by adding the 4th spring, it brought my bridge to what was called, "ground zero"...or perfectly parallel with the body. I didn't need to adjust the trem block to get here. I knew right away that when I removed one of those springs that it would push the bridge out further (make it uneven with the body, with the trem pointed down towards the nut). I tuned back up again, after removing the 4th spring and removing the trem stopper...guitar still intonated...but the damn bridge is now uneven. Even after screwing in the bridge screws a little, to try and even it out a little, it wasn't enough.
    If I left the forth spring in, it was perfectly even...but I don't know if that's the right thing to do...is it ok to have 4 springs, when the original setup calls for 3?

Finally...the last problem was that the "noiseless" springs that I purchased along with the big block, didn't fit into the block!...the ends that connect to the block were too thick to fit in the holes...or at least 2 out of the three were...I did get one in. Matter of fact...those springs seemed to be a little tighter than the stock springs. I have a feeling that if I were able to get those in, my bridge would've been even...and my setup would've been perfect. (well...all but the neck...and even that, I'm not sure if it's out of adjustment...I'm just guessing).

Despite the few things that were not right when the job was done, it was certainly still very playable/functional. I, obviously had to try it out...and I will say..it's not a night and day difference (perhaps the titanium setup - with the titanium saddles would be more dramatic), but it definitely brightened up the sound a bit...in a good way. I played it back to back against the SD Telly (which, as I mentioned above, is 'perfect'), and it sounded as good, if not better...and that's the highest compliment I can pay this device. Reason I say that is because I never liked the SD Strat sound as much as the Telly..even though they are similar.

In the end, I took the guitar down to my local shop that always fixes my guitars...I'll let them fine tune the floyd now...because it really is beyond what I can do. I wish I could watch them do their work, so I'd be able to make the last few adjustments.
    I'm glad I did this though. I finally got to take apart a floyd...I was able to get it back together, more or less, intact..., and I got a better sound out of my guitar. I recommend this to anyone who is thinking about it. If you're familiar with taking apart a floyd, and re setting it up, you'll have no problem getting this thing in. Otherwise, I'd take it to your local shop (as long as they have a guy that knows floyds at least - which has been harder to find lately). I'm seriously considering buying a true Kahler (German made) floyd for my SD Telly...and buying the titanium parts. It is, after all, my favorite guitar right now...and even though the price of this would be pretty hefty...It would be worth it for that guitar...then I truly will have a custom Charvel...which is what I've wanted for a long time anyway.

Thanks for reading my long post. I'd love to hear your comments....and I'd especially love to hear from those of you who know floyds..how to set them up...and those of you who have upgraded to the brass/titanium blocks.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Todd M

Thanks for writing up your experience. I'm about to tackle this project next week.

I'm also going to record some before and after samples so we have some objective evidence.
    I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Hey, great review. I'm thinking about getting a big block for my one of my stratobastard guitars.

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
      In the end, I took the guitar down to my local shop that always fixes my guitars...I'll let them fine tune the floyd now...because it really is beyond what I can do. I wish I could watch them do their work, so I'd be able to make the last few adjustments.

I'm seriously considering buying a true Kahler (German made) floyd for my SD Telly...and buying the titanium parts. It is, after all, my favorite guitar right now...and even though the price of this would be pretty hefty...It would be worth it for that guitar...then I truly will have a custom Charvel...which is what I've wanted for a long time anyway.
      Do yourself a favor any buy one of Dan Erlewine's books on guitar setup - either the Guitar Player Repair Guide or How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great. These will answer all your setup questions and allow you to setup and intonate a Floyd without following a paint-by-numbers video all the time.

Second - Schaller makes the MIG Floyd, not Kahler, and IMO its a "peace of mind" upgrade. The only thing better on the MIG Floyd is the bar, and even that's hit-or-miss.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

Second - Schaller makes the MIG Floyd, not Kahler,
        Thanks man....I meant to say that...
        Todd M

Comment

I have two ProMods and put the brass blocks on both of them. Didn't have much trouble but I've been playing with Floyds for a while so it wasn't too bad. I put the trem stop on one of them & installed a D-Tuna with it. Works great. I'm only running 3 springs on all of them. 4 springs are just too tight for me. I also have an old Charvel Model 5 that I recently installed an OFR with the brass block, trem stopper & D-Tuna & it works great as well. Like mentioned, the change in tone isn't night & day but is noticeable-more of a fuller, polished sound to me. Great service from Floydupgrades as well.

Comment

Why would you go to all the trouble with one of these piece of shit korean floyds? I'm sorry but regardless of what people write on here about how they're ''ok for the money'' THEY SUCK! Honestley I don't get why anyone wouldn't replace these unless they don't know any better but getting one of these pro mods and keeping the junk wannabe floyd on there is like buying a Ferrari with a V6! Spend the $220 at GC and get the real deal, the difference is night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemures View Post
              THEY SUCK!
              Why's that?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Spend the $220 at GC and get the real deal
                Ummm..you can get them online for $180.

Comment

Why would you go to all the trouble with one of these piece of shit korean floyds? I'm sorry but regardless of what people write on here about how they're ''ok for the money'' THEY SUCK! Honestley I don't get why anyone wouldn't replace these unless they don't know any better but getting one of these pro mods and keeping the junk wannabe floyd on there is like buying a Ferrari with a V6! Spend the $220 at GC and get the real deal, the difference is night and day.
                  Did you read my whole post...I made it very clear that I wouldn't put something really expensive in a Korea made floyd...but a 30 dollar brass block?...it's 30 f**king dollars dude...give me a break. If it made even the smallest difference in sound, in a good way, great...if not...wow...I'm out 30 bucks. Not to mention, just the experience of taking apart a floyd was good enough for me...this was my excuse to do so.

Talk about crying poverty...Christ
                  Todd M

Comment

I put the brass block on both my KV2,and RR1 and it does beef up your tone a bit.All the things I've heard about them have been nothing but good.As far as working on Floyds(taking them apart,setting them up)the more you do it the easier it gets.

Comment

I've had both - German and Korean. I have had no problems with the MIK model. None. They don't "suck" IMO. They do the job the are designed to do.

I've been using Floyds since 1990, so it's not my first rodeo.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        I've had both - German and Korean. I have had no problems with the MIK model. None. They don't "suck" IMO. They do the job the are designed to do.

I've been using Floyds since 1990, so it's not my first rodeo.
                        I couldn't agree more. I've had both as well, since I started playing in 1984...and the Korean made floyds absolutely work...I wouldn't say it's the best thing ever..but it does what it's supposed to do. To drop a 30 dollar part in there is certainly worth it. That's the whole point.

Whether you've got a MIG floyd or a Korean floyd, it can't hurt to install something that's better than stock. I'm not sure if I can see spending upwards of 2-3 hundred bucks on the titanium parts...but for some brass upgrades, it's money well spent. Not to mention...after dealing with Adam, he's a stand up guy...got back to me with every question I asked very quickly...I want to support the guy's site/products now. One way of doing that is by coming out here and telling everyone my experience. While, in the end, I still need to have this thing fine tuned by someone with more experience than me...without his product, and his instructional videos, I never would've even tried to take apart this thing. Kudos to the brass block and the guy who sells them.
                        Todd M

Comment

I have several guitars with MIG Floyds (3 of them being USA soloists) and while there may be some small differences between the MIG and the MIK the differences aren't that big to me. I've played the hell out of the one on my first ProMod and it's held up just fine. The tone was decent as is but the brass block just gave it that little extra. I'm very pleased with it. Can't see any reason to change it out.

Comment

The May 2010 issue of Guitar World has a video on the CD from Floydupgrades.com showing how to install the big brass block, intonate and restring the guitar. sound clips of before and after as well.

Comment

So...h0w about the Gotohs? Any good, y'all?

Comment

Working...
                              X