production model floating trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• production model floating trem

I know this is a newb question but how is it that the trems on these float yet still get great low action? I've read talk on a few threads about neck pocket angle but I'm not realy sure what that means. I've used almost entirely recessed floyds in the past but I love these production models and how high the bridges sit off the body. I recently bought a San Dimas star from JC guitars and the bridge is flush to the body and I hate not being able to pull back on the bar, anyway can someone please explain exactly how charvel does it with these pro mods?

Thanks

Action relates to the distance of the strings from the neck. The height that the bridge sits from the body only impacts the action where it changes the distance of the strings from the neck.

By changing the angle of the neck pocket, you can change the angle of the neck in relation to the body. The greater the neck angle, the higher the bridge will sit over the guitar. Less angle means the bridge can sit on the face of the guitar, or even down into a recess. A good example is the Les Paul. The Tunomatic bridge sits quite high off the body of the guitar, but it is still possible to get a nice low action thanks to the angle that Gibson have set the neck into the body. Compare this to an SL2H, where the neck angle is flatter, allowing the bridge to sit down into the recess.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

here's a pic I found demonstrating how you can use shims to adjust neck angle to improve your action. The same theory applies, only instead of shims, that compensation is taken into account when the neck pocket is routed.

Hail yesterday

Comment

here's another illustration:

Hail yesterday

Comment

Great explanation and illustrations VitaminG! I have a hard time explaining this concept to friends who want to work on/build their own guitars. I'm stealing these if that's okay?

Comment

Yes, awesome explanation thanks I apppreciate it. I wish all guitars were made with this same neck pocket angle and floating floyds.

Comment

Working...
            X