Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to those who own both Custom Shop SD's and Pro Mod SD's

Looking for some input ....
    I recently purchased a custom shop SD that I absolutely love. Now I need another... however the cost is a little more than I can really afford to spend at the moment.

I have the opportunity to buy a candy blue pro mod, in brand new condition, from a friend for $700. I will also want to spend additional cash for a new chrome MIG floyd, chrome tuners etc to make it closer to what I want. I can't play the pro mod before I decide as it is located in another part of the country.

My question is, what are the major differences between the CS SD's and the pro mods? I have been spoiled by the CS I already have and don't want to dump approx $900 on the pro mod only to be disappointed in the long run.

I could just save the $900 towards a CS in the future. I am sure that some part of my lust for the CS stuff is purely... "it's hand made, it costs more, so it must be better".

Thanks
    Last edited by plexipwrd; 04-19-2010, 09:09 PM.

The major difference between a ProMod and a Custom Shop Charvel are who made it, the parts they made it with and the attention to detail paid to it during the assembly process. With a ProMod, you're still getting an alder body and a great feeling maple neck. You get a cheaper Floyd and tuners and a "factory" setup.

I haven't had any issues with the frets on my two ProMods out of the box, although I did polish up the frets on my black one. I don't have a CS Charvel, but I do have an Adrian Smith Jackson made by the same people, and the AS has much nicer fretwork.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Buy yourself a Music Zoo natural and just be done with it. A few hundred more and no "what if's". The production stuff is 'good' but th CS production runs are better. If you ask me one off's tend to be 'scetchy'....some are great and some are not so. I think your best off with the middle ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
        Buy yourself a Music Zoo natural and just be done with it. A few hundred more and no "what if's". The production stuff is 'good' but th CS production runs are better. If you ask me one off's tend to be 'scetchy'....some are great and some are not so. I think your best off with the middle ground.
        TMZ Naturals are great, but just note that the necks are a bit thinner than what's on the Pro Mods - may be a good or bad thing depending on what you prefer.
        David Szabados
        www.legendarytones.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          The major difference between a ProMod and a Custom Shop Charvel are who made it, the parts they made it with and the attention to detail paid to it during the assembly process. With a ProMod, you're still getting an alder body and a great feeling maple neck. You get a cheaper Floyd and tuners and a "factory" setup.

I haven't had any issues with the frets on my two ProMods out of the box, although I did polish up the frets on my black one. I don't have a CS Charvel, but I do have an Adrian Smith Jackson made by the same people, and the AS has much nicer fretwork.
          The fretwork on my CS is great as well. I also love the feel of the rolled edges on the fretboard.

Originally posted by Code Red View Post
          Music Zoo naturals are cool, but I really want an alder body with a painted finish. I do really like the TMZ Nitro aged SD's but they are only 21 frets and no compound radius fretboard.

I think I may just save the $1K I have and wait until I can afford a CS.

Comment

There is no reason why a Pro Mod with a good setup (including a level & dress on the frets if necessary) won't be just a great a player as a Custom Shop Charvel. However, it won't be a Custom Shop Charvel.

If you really want a Custom Shop guitar, you should wait and buy one. Then again, you can gig/play the Pro Mod without worrying about it too much, so it's got advantages that way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by plexipwrd View Post
              I also love the feel of the rolled edges on the fretboard.
              The maple ProMods have the same heavy rolled fretboard edges.
              Blank yo!

Comment

I've got a CS and a So Cal Pro Mod. You can feel the quality in the CS for sure and I absolutely LOVE it. With that said I play the So Cal 90% of the time. I don't think that you'd be disappointed in a Pro Mod at all. It's still USA made and a killer guitar! I'd jump all over it for $700!

Comment

Pro Mods rock as hard as anything out there...for the money. It's among the best "bang for the buck" guitars in existence. No question. Especially at 7 bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    The maple ProMods have the same heavy rolled fretboard edges.
                    Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                    I've got a CS and a So Cal Pro Mod. You can feel the quality in the CS for sure and I absolutely LOVE it. With that said I play the So Cal 90% of the time. I don't think that you'd be disappointed in a Pro Mod at all. It's still USA made and a killer guitar! I'd jump all over it for $700!
                    Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    Pro Mods rock as hard as anything out there...for the money. It's among the best "bang for the buck" guitars in existence. No question. Especially at 7 bills.
                    With all the props the Pro Mods are getting here I think I'm going to jump on it. It is currently owned by a very good friend who has barely played it and it's only a couple of months old.

Another selling point is that I can pay him in installments so I won't have to steal the grocery money!

I will have to buy a case as it comes with the gig bag.....and a chrome MIG Floyd....and Chrome tuners....and ??

Comment

Just looking at TMZ site and there's a Mahogany Dinky that is a dream, listed at $1,795. Do you reckon I could get any discount on that?

Comment

Call em up and find out. They deal.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

should be able to get a socal for less than 700, you can get an SD for 700 easy.
                          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I hate natural finishes, otherwise those Music Zoo Naturals guitars are very attractive compared to a Pro Mod.

I guess I could rattle-can it with so ReRanch Olympic White.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              I hate natural finishes, otherwise those Music Zoo Naturals guitars are very attractive compared to a Pro Mod.

I guess I could rattle-can it with so ReRanch Olympic White.
                              I actually considered doing this ...

Comment

Working...
                              X