No announcement yet.

Question to those who own both Custom Shop SD's and Pro Mod SD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having 2 WDM's, and having had 5 Pro Mods, I will make this basic observation -- I paid a LOT for a cool paint job. Sure, the hardware is a bit better, but the body & neck are quite similar. Not enough to 3x the price for sure.

Comment

In the last 3 years, I've been weeding out all the old crap from my previous collection and updating to all new guitars. Being a little older with a good paying job affords me the opportunity to do so.

I'm much more of a guitar guy than an effects/amps guy. To me, the guitar IS the soul of your tone. Sure, amps and your chosen effects (if any) play a big part too....but I'm really big on buying quality guitars because the cheaper guitars are just obviously cheaper...the way thy feel, sound, and the build quality. Not only that, I'm also big on playing the guitar without an amp....just clean. It's pretty clear when you play a true quality guitar, it sounds good clean without an amp/effects. Cheaper guitars just don't sound as good.

So my biggest (pleasant) surprise over the last year or so is how well these pro mod Charvels sound and feel. The build quality isn't quite what it is on some of my more expensive guitars (like my PC1, Les Paul Standard, American Deluxe Strat, just to name a few). For example, the frets tend to need some work...the floyd isn't a German made model (which despite the quality of the Korean models, the German ones are just better).

But in the end, you're paying no more than 1100 for a pro-mod. And in most cases, you'll pay even less. The Style 2 Tellies, are now out of production...and most music stores that sell Charvels are letting them go for $699. In most cases, I'd never buy a $699 guitar (I typically will only buy guitars that are 1K + - except in the used market of course). But here you go...a $699 guitar that sounds and feels better than my $2900 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
      Will it hold it's value like a Les Paul...no...is it's finish as special as that LP?...no...but it just plays great and the Duncan Pickups just kick ass in this particular model. Because I loved the Style 2 so much, I was soon the owner of a Style 1 Strat HSS....and this guitar gets played just as much (although, this one I did pay near list...I believe I paid 1000).

I guess where I'm going is, I've played custom shop Charvels...and they are definitely high quality instruments. But the pro-mod Charvels are just great work-horse guitars...the necks are amazing, and the quality is "Made in USA". The most you'll pay is 1100, and in many cases, you can find them for less. I have every intention of getting a So Cal soon, before they end the run...at the end of the day, the fact that these guitars get played more than any of my other "higher price/quality" guitars is the highest compliment I can pay.

Hope this helps.
      Todd M

Comment

Originally posted by veniculum View Post
        In the last 3 years, I've been weeding out all the old crap from my previous collection and updating to all new guitars. Being a little older with a good paying job affords me the opportunity to do so.

I'm much more of a guitar guy than an effects/amps guy. To me, the guitar IS the soul of your tone. Sure, amps and your chosen effects (if any) play a big part too....but I'm really big on buying quality guitars because the cheaper guitars are just obviously cheaper...the way thy feel, sound, and the build quality. Not only that, I'm also big on playing the guitar without an amp....just clean. It's pretty clear when you play a true quality guitar, it sounds good clean without an amp/effects. Cheaper guitars just don't sound as good.

So my biggest (pleasant) surprise over the last year or so is how well these pro mod Charvels sound and feel. The build quality isn't quite what it is on some of my more expensive guitars (like my PC1, Les Paul Standard, American Deluxe Strat, just to name a few). For example, the frets tend to need some work...the floyd isn't a German made model (which despite the quality of the Korean models, the German ones are just better).

But in the end, you're paying no more than 1100 for a pro-mod. And in most cases, you'll pay even less. The Style 2 Tellies, are now out of production...and most music stores that sell Charvels are letting them go for $699. In most cases, I'd never buy a $699 guitar (I typically will only buy guitars that are 1K + - except in the used market of course). But here you go...a $699 guitar that sounds and feels better than my $2900 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
        Will it hold it's value like a Les Paul...no...is it's finish as special as that LP?...no...but it just plays great and the Duncan Pickups just kick ass in this particular model. Because I loved the Style 2 so much, I was soon the owner of a Style 1 Strat HSS....and this guitar gets played just as much (although, this one I did pay near list...I believe I paid 1000).

I guess where I'm going is, I've played custom shop Charvels...and they are definitely high quality instruments. But the pro-mod Charvels are just great work-horse guitars...the necks are amazing, and the quality is "Made in USA". The most you'll pay is 1100, and in many cases, you can find them for less. I have every intention of getting a So Cal soon, before they end the run...at the end of the day, the fact that these guitars get played more than any of my other "higher price/quality" guitars is the highest compliment I can pay.

Hope this helps.
        I'm with ya on the amp vs. guitar thing totally. Guitars are more fun.

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
        Having 2 WDM's, and having had 5 Pro Mods, I will make this basic observation -- I paid a LOT for a cool paint job. Sure, the hardware is a bit better, but the body & neck are quite similar. Not enough to 3x the price for sure.
        Weird thing is that my cs Charvels neck backshape is way different from the promods I've played. It's not as rounded as the promods that I played at Pete's are. Don't get me wrong, the promod neck has a nice backshape, but it's different.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
        X