Is the Charvel production series done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K.Dee View Post
    From Bionic's words i assume that the emphasis on "CHARVEL USA PRODUCTION MODEL SERIES " means that they're about to move the production overseas.
    We'll see.
    That'd be a bad move. The thing that makes a Charvel is 'Made In USA', it's part of the brand. Yes, they were made overseas for many years, and were popular, but that was because you couldn't get the USA ones (here in the UK, anyway).

When the Production Series came out, and was available in the UK, it's was like all my Christmases had arrived at once, I just had to have one - and it was every bit as good as I'd expected. But it had to have 'Made In USA' on the headstock.

A good comparison is the British car company TVR: small volume/quirky manufacturer, with a small but enthusiastic following. Over the years, it got better/higher profile, and in the end was doing well, producing some great cars that were starting to be compared with the Italian greats...until a Russian bought it and moved production overseas. Then no one wanted a TVR anymore, the brand was destroyed - being British was a key thing TVR owners cared about.

Reputation/branding takes years to grow but can be lost in an instant (did anyone mention Toyota???)

Comment

Well it is all about the money. If Fender can squeeze out a few extra dollars by moving production over to Japan, down to Mexico, Korea, etc. then I guess why not. I don't think that would be a wise move, especially now with Fender having an American Strat and Tele for $799. Stinks having to keep waiting for the definitive answer but then again whatever the answer is half of us on here are going to hate it while the other half are going to love it. Actually probably more like 30% hate, 30% love, 30% who cares and 10% wondering when Charvel became part of Fender in the first place.

Comment

I'm pretty sure in the ProMods become imports, most here are going to hate it. I know I will.

I would say just produce them in USA, Fender already has strats priced similarly that are made in USA. (American Special, Standard HSS)

Not like Charvel is/would be significantly cutting into Strat sales, seeing as the guitars are designed for different styles of players.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
          I'm pretty sure in the ProMods become imports, most here are going to hate it. I know I will.
          Yeah, but I wouldn't hear any of the complaints since they'd all be in the Import Charvel section.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Yeah, but I wouldn't hear any of the complaints since they'd all be in the Import Charvel section.

Good point, sir.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

I would agree that, if the next series is import-only, there will be a lot of disappointed folks. Myself included.

Hopefully, if imports are in the cards, they see the wisdom in the Fender Strat lines - both USA and import production lines.

Comment

Oh, that would be cool. Do some cheap-o models in Mexico and then do a "pick-sheet" USA semi-custom line.

I really like my Custom Shop Charvels, but it's tough to justify the price of some of the inventory that I see around.

Comment

Smart money waits to see what the changes are instead of running down and dropping 9-11 on a new Pro-Mod. It isn't like there aren't plenty of them on the used market if you decide 6 isn't enough.
                  Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                  98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                    They're going to Mexico.
                    I'd actually be ok with this, if the pricing/options were right.

Move the US stuff to CS only.

MIM Charvels with more colors/options.

Keep the Jackson stuff as USA/MIJ.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I've heard they're changing the logo to, "Refried for Higher Performance."
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        I've heard they're changing the logo to, "Refried for Higher Performance."
                        Man, I could totally go for a jalapenocaster right about now.

Comment

That's a guitar that really has some cojones!
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Id take a Jap guitar over Mexican any day. Japan seems to be the ouny country that cant build guitars to rival USA in quality and feel. Id have no problems if the ProMod series went to Japan, IF there was a price drop. Hell, the early import Charvels along with the Jackson PRO's that came out of that factory will rival most USA made guitars hands down.
                            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I would guess the production synergy would be in Mexico. I would not buy one.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Nah, they're bringing back the model series.
                                |My CSG gallery|
                                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Working...
                                X