Floyd brass block replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd brass block replacement

I am thinking about replacing the sustain block on the Floyd Rose in my USA Star with a high grade brass block. Anyone on here do that yet? What are your impressions? Does it greatly or noticably improve sustain and tone? My only concern is the added size will cause me to lose what little pull-up range on it as well as take away the ability to flutter the arm of the Floyd. Anyone have that issue?

Several of us have done this. The difference is noticeable. As long as you get the same size block, you should be fine and not lose range or ability to flutter. I believe most, if not all, of us that have done so have gone with the Floyd Upgrades blocks.

Comment

The Floyd block is already brass, so unless you're getting a "big block" you're not getting anything different.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        The Floyd block is already brass, so unless you're getting a "big block" you're not getting anything different.
        Sure about that? The early OFR blocks reportedly were brass but I'm not sure about those from the last 25 years. Got at least 7 or 8 Floyds in my guitars and most of them look as if they're either stainless or some other silver-colored alloy.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
          Sure about that? The early OFR blocks reportedly were brass but I'm not sure about those from the last 25 years. Got at least 7 or 8 Floyds in my guitars and most of them look as if they're either stainless or some other silver-colored alloy.
          The newer stock floyd blocks are still brass. The reason they look different is that they are chrome plated. However, the 32mm stock replacement block, which didn't limit my range of movement at all, was almost double the weight of the original, as it is thicker. In order to see whether or not your travel will be affected, you need to measure your current travel and see how much extra room you have. If you're already close to hiTting the body then a thicker block will limit travel, even if it is the stock height.
          I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
            The newer stock floyd blocks are still brass. The reason they look different is that they are chrome plated. However, the 32mm stock replacement block, which didn't limit my range of movement at all, was almost double the weight of the original, as it is thicker. In order to see whether or not your travel will be affected, you need to measure your current travel and see how much extra room you have. If you're already close to hiTting the body then a thicker block will limit travel, even if it is the stock height.
            Well, that explains why they look like stainless or silver. Also explains why the holes for the springs on the bottom are brass colored. Sh*t. Ya use a product for 25 years and you think you know just about everything there is to know about it. Guess I don't know as much as I thought.

Comment

Well, that explains why they look like stainless or silver. Also explains why the holes for the springs on the bottom are brass colored. Sh*t. Ya use a product for 25 years and you think you know just about everything there is to know about it. Guess I don't know as much as I thought.
              It's CA360 brass. It's used in a wide variety of instruments including brass bells. Some ebay sellers call it bell brass.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                It's CA360 brass. It's used in a wide variety of instruments including brass bells. Some ebay sellers call it bell brass.
                Gotcha. I have heard that term bell brass, it's been used in the descriptions by a few sources outside of (fe)eBay, most notably an article in Guitar World on it. A number of high profile players are using the big block. I just wonder about how much routing needs to be done so I can maintain my current trem movement range.

Comment

Gotcha. I have heard that term bell brass, it's been used in the descriptions by a few sources outside of (fe)eBay, most notably an article in Guitar World on it. A number of high profile players are using the big block. I just wonder about how much routing needs to be done so I can maintain my current trem movement range.
                  Like others have said, it will vary depending on the guitar. I put a 32mm on an SL1 and it had zero impact with respect to trem movement, but it really depends on the guitar.

Comment

I just wonder about how much routing needs to be done so I can maintain my current trem movement range.
                    I would assume none. The route is already larger than it needs to be for an oversized block. It would be nice if I could get a block large enough to use the available space in the route.

Comment

Working...
                    X