Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most you have ever paid for a SD Charvel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most you have ever paid for a SD Charvel?

Just curious.
    I have an opportunity to land a virtually un played 85 SD Charvel pointy(graphic too!) with all the case candy.
    Original owner never played it just kept it under the bed in its case.
    The strings on it now are the second set that have ever been on it.
    The only screws that have been touched were the Kahler nut locking pad screws.
    I'm torn I want it but the price is over 2 grand.I can handle the price tag no problem.
    I'm looking at this as an investment for the most part.
    Last edited by straycat; 06-05-2010, 10:25 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

That's a tough one to call without knowing what the graphic is. There is really a pretty small group of collectors who have made the SD Charvel market what it is, so counting on things going up indefinitely (especially pointies) is dicey, imo, unless it's some kind of holy grail. Is it a really sought-after graphic like B/Y stripes, rising sun, HRF, or something like that? If not, even though it's minty, $2k or more for a Kahlered pointy is high in this market, imo. It sounds like the guy may be basing his price on the belief that all SD Charvels will appreciate forever, when in fact pointies haven't even kept up with inflation over the long haul, with just a few exceptions.

Comment

I have owned a couple of the later serialized SD Charvels w/ graphics and in the condition you describe and purchased them in the $1500 range. Granted this was over the last 5-7 years, but I don't feel any of them would be worth $2K or more today. I have seen a couple of the rare graphics go for $2K or higher on ebay, especially if it was a guitar that no one had seen up for sale before and it brings out all the collectors. It's hard to say what will happen in the guitar market, but typically these guitars have not been good investments.

Comment

It is an odd rising sun graphic no rays off the sun and two sets of Japanese letters(one on the lower side lower bout and one by the arm area).
        Snow white in color with no discoloration or yellowing.
        Last edited by straycat; 06-05-2010, 10:34 AM.

Comment

It has a Kahler,thats a major con to many many potential SD buyers as mentioned.

If it had a Factory Floyd i'd say 1700$ considering guitars mint cond,1500$ if it had a Vtrem and 1400 with a modded Floyd if the job was really good but those with the Kahlers..those are very low at the food chain so i'd say 1200$-1300$ tops.

Ofcourse those are only speculations,its one more huge factor that defines the above the famous "how bad do you want it" factor

I got only one and i've paid around 1300$,it has a factory floyd ebony fretboard and its in mint cond.

Last edited by K.Dee; 06-06-2010, 04:09 AM.
          Addicted to that Rush..

Comment

Way too high. An investments are supposed to make you money. Try a couple bonds instead.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for all your input.
              I want it in the worst way but that is a lot of cabbage I agree.
              Not sure what I will do.I have my eyes on a very cool 87 Kramer stagemaster too with a Kline graphic.Damn its a hard choice!!

Comment

$2K seems a little high to me too. I buy some pretty high end stuff, but I'm always thinking "if an emergency were to happen and I needed to cash out quickly, what's the most I could get".

The Kramer sounds a little better. I have an 88 ESP Horizon neck thru that I think is the same axe - I LOVE the ESP. How much is the Stagemaster?

Comment

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics.

Comment

Working...
                  X