So-Cal Modded with Strat Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So-Cal Modded with Strat Pickups?

Has anyone modded a Pro Mod So-Cal with a traditional, three single coil Strat pickup set?

If you have, please post pictures. Thanks.
    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

I believe Newc did one with three single coils ("Strat pickups"). Probably about a year or a year and a half ago.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yep, Newc did one awhile back. He had to take a Dremel to the bridge pickup rout to make it accommodate the slant single. You probably won't see too many 3-single coil mods due to the required body modification.

Comment

Here you go:

Lotsa things I' didn't particularly like about Newc's mods, but you can't fault him for effort.
        Blank yo!

Comment

Eww and ouch on that pick guard of his in the last pic, yikes.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I can't believe the doofus wouldn't remove the pickguards to do the wiring jobs! Sloppy work, idn't it?

In reading his descriptions though, it sounds like he removed wood downward to accommodate the larger stacked pickup, but did not have to make the space any wider. If the pickup routs are identical to Fender's, and I believe they are as I've opened up my So-Cal a few times, the bodies should take a bridge single without any modding.
            Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Removed painted wood to fit the bridge pickup. It's a Warmoth pickguard, so it's Fender-spec for pickup location, which the SoCal is not routed to fit.

While the rear of the route only needed about 1/4" or less removed, the nub that extends around the route on the bottom had to be cut off almost completely to fit the single's baseplate.

And no, it's not a simple question of removing the pickguard to get to the wires. You have to remove the neck OR remove the strings, which is a pain in my ass. Cutting the control section out like a Jazz bass plate makes total sense, even if the execution was sloppy. Function above fashion.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post
                I can't believe the doofus
                That's uncalled for.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Plenty of wood left there.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    Plenty of wood left there.
                    That's what she said...
                    Blank yo!

Comment

If were talking a 1/4 inch then could you have modified the p/u instead??
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Not without resoldering the coil wires (the little bitty ones) and cutting off the flange.

Even then, the end of the pickup where the mounting screw goes in was still crashing on top of the nub, so as long as that had to go, may as well take some more.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X