Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Mod Advice for Charvel So Cal 1 2H

Hi all,

This is my first post on this board. I'm glad to find a community of fellow Charvel enthusiasts. I was a big fan of them back in the mid 80's and bought a Japanese made 475 Special pointy back in '91. It had the dark rosewood fretboard with sharktooth inlays and complete neck binding...great guitar.

I heard about the Fender re-launch of the Charvel brand and just had to have one So I lucked out and found a used one at GC in the exact color I was looking for, Candy Tangerine. The only problem was the previous owner screwed the bridge up and GC replaced it with a cheap Licensed bridge. Got it for $600 + tax. So now I'm trying to figure out how I should mod it. I love some of the photos where folks replaced the stock black hardware with chrome, but I think I'm gonna stick with black for mine. I do want a white one with chrome in the future tho So I'm thinking of a new OFR in black, but debating on routing it for a recessed mount. Any thoughts on this? Can I get lower action by doing this? I also hate the volume knob and especially dislike the orientation of the pickup switch (up and down vs front and back). Appreciate your collective thoughts and opinions. Here's some photos of my new baby:

Regards,
    MZ

If you recess the floyd you will also have to have the neck pocket cut too. BUT recessed or non recessed has nothing to do with how low the action is off the neck. Get your floyd and do a setup or have one done to get low action. LOve the color, I should never have sold mine!

Comment

You could do a recess merely for added pullup range, and not mess with the neck angle. You can get the action low as it is, but then you don't have much pullup range.

As for the toggle direction, I will never understand why anyone besides Gibson makes their 3-way go up and down (and even then only on the LP) instead of at a more natural angle relative to the elbow.

Luckily, the SoCal has a little route next to the toggle that will allow you to spin the switch to your favored position (at least the Purple, Green, and Gold did - can't recall if the Tangerine did).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

One of the nice things about the SoCal is the clean looks without the recess. I'd not do it if I were you.

Comment

Thanks, will probably leave the bridge top mounted as suggested. Next question, as stated it has a cheapie licensed bridge installed. I found a seller who has a Floyd from a brand new So-Cal that was damaged in shipping and he's parting it out. I can get the bridge for less than $150. Is that a good deal? The best deal I've found so far on a new one is at Warmoth, where they're selling OFR's for $180, but of course I'd have to know the nut size and neck radius, etc and I have no idea. Has anyone gone with a Schaller instead of an OFR? Besides being a little more compact (which I don't care about since I'm keeping the top mount), are they better in any way?

Thanks,
          MZ

Comment

Not really a good deal IMO.

I would just get an OFR with R3 nut from Warmoth. I would guess yours still has the original locking nut on it anyway, but the R3 is the correct size.

It (the OFR) will come with a shim under the middle 4 saddles. Remove the shim, install & adjust the tremolo, set the intonation, and you're all set.

Comment

Update: I pulled the trigger on the So-Cal Floyd http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...view=all&tid=0. It will replace this cheapie version: http://www.allparts.com/Black-Tremolo-p/sb-0257-003.htm. I also ordered a 32mm brass block and tremolo stop from floydupgrades.com. Should have them all installed by this weekend and will post an update.

Thanks,
              MZ

Comment

I'm too lazy to check but I thought these were 37mm blocks.

Comment

I figured that out after I ordered it. Luckily I was able to call Adam Reiver directly and modify my order. I actually ordered the 42mm since it should fit fine in the trem cavity.

Comment

You will have zero pull-up with the 42mm block. :dunno:

Comment

37mm will work. 42mm will probably stick out of the back cavity too far.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a 42 on my Pro Mod/CS mutt and IIRC it fit fine thickness wise, I think I put the back cover on and it didn't scrape.

But the bridge would only tilt back a couple of degrees before the brass block hit wood in the cavity.

Comment

Working...
                        X