Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFR Direct replacement for Pro Mod floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR Direct replacement for Pro Mod floyd?

Will anything need to be changed at all, or can I just slip the OFR in the pro mod Floyd's place?

It's a direct replacement.

Comment

There *may* be a slight difference in the fitment of the nut, however you could just leave the stock nut unless you're changing hardware color. I've seen plenty of variance in Floyd nuts even sticking with all OFR R3's so, YMMV.

Also the newer Pro Mods have a 40 mm tremolo block and the OFR will come with a 37 mm block. The 37 should work just fine unless you like your action pretty high, and you can always swap the blocks.

Worst case scenario you swap the spring blocks and plug & redrill the holes for the lock nut. Best case scenario you unscrew one and slap the other on.

Don't forget to take the shim out of the OFR bridge, under the middle 4 saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Also the newer Pro Mods have a 40 mm tremolo block and the OFR will come with a 37 mm block. The 37 should work just fine unless you like your action pretty high, and you can always swap the blocks.
        40mm? I thought there was only 32, 37 and 42.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Me too! Grandturk said something about it, and I was kinda surprised, but my Style 1C also has one, says 40 mm right on it!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            40mm? I thought there was only 32, 37 and 42.
            I have a 34 mm. Manufactuers can probably order whatever length they want from FR as long as they are buying in bulk.

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

Interesting!
                http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8196-flat.aspx

This company offers five web pages of different sizes of flat bar stock for CA360 (bell brass). FR can pick the width and thickness and buy the longest length available. They cut it to any length in mm for an end user. Guitar body thickness and recessed versus non-recessed trem help determine the final length. BTW you need a fairly accurate a band saw to cut bar stock.

Comment

Damn, I just need that web page, a good drill press, and a jig, and a lot of spare time and I could... Possibly pay for the drill press in just a few short decades!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    Damn, I just need that web page, a good drill press, and a jig, and a lot of spare time and I could... Possibly pay for the drill press in just a few short decades!
                    Jazz, you'll need a machinist's cross-slide vise to go with that drill press, too--lol. I bought a used OFR brass block for $9.95 delivered for one of my guitars. I've also found that "upgrading" from a cast block to brass isn't always the way to go to improve tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
                      Will anything need to be changed at all, or can I just slip the OFR in the pro mod Floyd's place?

This makes no sense. The "Pro Mod Floyd" is an OFR.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                        I've also found that "upgrading" from a cast block to brass isn't always the way to go to improve tone.
                        OFR blocks have always been brass... just steel plated. Unless they changed something through the years.

Comment

OFR blocks have always been brass... just steel plated. Unless they changed something through the years.
                          Right, but a lot of LFR blocks are cast/pot metal. Are the steel plated ones new? All the older brass blocks I've seen were not plated.

Comment

I thought they were always plated. I can't recall seeing a real Floyd with just brass. I've got one laying around I bought from Carvin around 1994, and it's plated.

Comment

I think its chrome plated, not steel plated.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X