Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFR Direct replacement for Pro Mod floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    I think its chrome plated, not steel plated.
    Might be nickel--chrome is clear.

Comment

Don't know. Nickel and chrome look similar, but nickel actually wears quicker and doesn't look as shiny.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Don't know. Nickel and chrome look similar, but nickel actually wears quicker and doesn't look as shiny.
        I thought chrome was clear with a slightly blue-ish tint. Chrome is usually plated over nickel plating which is why people think it's silver-colored. I lived next to a body shop for a few years that specialized in Corvettes and old parts would be sent out for nickel chrome plating to make them look new again.

The used brass OFR blocks I see on ebay are usually gold in color and appear to have a grain or marks from the extrusion process. They might be from the 80's. The newer big blocks are usually smooth.

Toe, I've seen the ones you are talking about.

Comment

Having removed chrome plating from a few brass parts and looking into how it's done chemically, it's most likely copper then nickle then chrome like guitar knobs, output jacks, etc. are.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            Having removed chrome plating from a few brass parts and looking into how it's done chemically, it's most likely copper then nickle then chrome like guitar knobs, output jacks, etc. are.
            You're right about copper plating--it's used first to fill sanding scratches and other imperfections that nickel won't hide.

Comment

Working...
            X