Not Quite NGD, Promod coolness & CS idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Quite NGD, Promod coolness & CS idea

Snagged a used USA pro mod Charvel San Dimas (guessing) but discovered some issues that made it unacceptable to keep. Despite needing to return it I did however discover some exciting attributes of the guitar that got me thinking-
    The maple neck on that promod was just as sweet feeling as I can remember a neck being. Not altogether a surprise to me as I have a cs Star that has one of the finest necks (maple w/ dark rosewood board) I've ever caressed in 30 years of playing guitar (badly). But I got to thinking, maybe my next acquisition needs to be an all maple neck.
    Also the sound/tone I got out of that SanDimas 2H was just pure wet dream awesome. The stock bridge pup had been replaced by a Dimarzio of unknown variety. (will check tonight before I return it) Me like.

On the down side, the trem obviously has no rout & was set to dive only. Even if the trem was able to pull a little sharp (some retard had installed, rather badly, an aluminum angle bracket, sheared off to fit in the cavity, as a trem stop) it's not enough float for this Floyd junky. The other unfortunate (but not deal killing) characteristic was the 22 frets. Again, no surprise there- I knew before buying that the promod has 22. But I missed having those additional 2 frets on the SD. Love my 24 fret CS Star ( 95% of all my axes have 24)

So, I've been toying with placing another cs order and maybe I need to go with a variation on the San Dimas promod- thinking San Dimas alder body, 24 jumbos on a maple quartersawn (possibly neck thru? CS will not do this at the moment), 2H config w/ Dimarzio in bridge, 59 in the neck, routed OFR, and some snazzy graphic finish, possibly snakeskin or bengal.

Sounds reasonable don'tcha think? Return a used promod and in lieu of, order a CS San Dimas?

I would just take out the block shim the neck and keep the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      I would just take out the block shim the neck and keep the guitar.
      I hear ya. But no reasonable amount if neck shim is gonna give me the range I like on a properly routed floaty OFR and I hate the aesthetic of a overly shimmed neck. Sadly, the clown that put the block in, also misdrilled about 6 or 7 times (or redrilled for a different positioning 3 times over- hard to tell) and the bottom of the cavity where the block attaches looks like swiss cheese. Then there's the missing 2 frets- Nah, I'm returning it - got a custom order I've just put in with Matt for an SD 1-2H with 24 frets, routed OFR, the Dimarzio/Seymour pups and a snazzy custom paint job...

Comment

Working...
      X