Decisions decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions decisions...

After playing a San Dimas 1-2H, I have decided that I REALLY like many of the specs and features so much that I'm gonna order a cs Charvel- (the 22 frets and flush mounted OFR ain't doing it for me so, I'm getting 24 jumbos and having the trem routed to float). The question is: do I stick with the SD's Strat shape or go with much beloved Star shape?
    The SD's shape isn't all that great for upper fret access but the Star IMO, is only marginally better.
    Got a bitchin' graphic worked up for the Star that could be modded for the Strat shape.

if you are going 24 fret, the strat body looks weird. if you want good upper fret access, go with the star (based on your given options). personally, when i ordered my CS charvel, i got a dinky body with a 24 fret neck....but it was WAY more "jackson" than "charvel" by the time it was finished....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      if you are going 24 fret, the strat body looks weird. if you want good upper fret access, go with the star (based on your given options). personally, when i ordered my CS charvel, i got a dinky body with a 24 fret neck....but it was WAY more "jackson" than "charvel" by the time it was finished....
      I hear ya- my cs Star is a Charvel but most of the specs- 24 frets, routed OFR, reverse pointy head, rosewood board, etc. make it seem more like a Jackson than Charvel.

A Dinky body is a great f*cking idea!!!

Comment

by having the dinky body, it gave me the "normal" 24 fret access that i expect playing a J/C guitar. my specs were:

body: maple DK
        neck: maple w/ 24 fret pau ferro fretboard
        gold recessed floyd, single hum, single volume

if you wanted more of the "strat" body look, you could always have the edges radiused more to round them off.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          by having the dinky body, it gave me the "normal" 24 fret access that i expect playing a J/C guitar. my specs were:

body: maple DK
          neck: maple w/ 24 fret pau ferro fretboard
          gold recessed floyd, single hum, single volume

if you wanted more of the "strat" body look, you could always have the edges radiused more to round them off.
          Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I keep gravitating back to the Star shape. Problem is, I really would love to get a neck thru Star and Charvel doesn't do neck thru... but how bitchin' would that be to have an all-maple 24 fret neck thru an alder star w/ 2 hums and a recessed OFR, single volume with this graphic:

Comment

Yeah I'd go full-on "Jackson mode" with the star...neck thru, pointy hs, Jackson logo.

Maybe they can put a retro NOS JT6 on there too.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
              Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I keep gravitating back to the Star shape. Problem is, I really would love to get a neck thru Star and Charvel doesn't do neck thru... but how bitchin' would that be to have an all-maple 24 fret neck thru an alder star w/ 2 hums and a recessed OFR, single volume with this graphic:
              Could you get a neck through guitar with Jackson on the headstock instead of Charvel? Would you ever consider a tiger claw trem route like Vai has on his JEM's? it might look cool with your graphic.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                Could you get a neck through guitar with Jackson on the headstock instead of Charvel? Would you ever consider a tiger claw trem route like Vai has on his JEM's? it might look cool with your graphic.
                It might look cool but in my mind, that's an iconic design of a JEM and frankly, imo, a JEM can't stand up to this cs Jackson (or Charvel), even on its best day. Besides, I currently have a modded Ibby Jem with the tiger claw trem rout. Think I'll stick with the standard trem rout on the Star.

The real question now seems to be whether Jackson will make a Star. Matt's trying to determine that even as I type.
                Last edited by vector; 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

its best day
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    its best day
                    Duly noted but you missed the "a" before iconic. Should've been "an"

Comment

Yeah but I hate that it's
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It's a real shame that the America for the most part butchers it's own language like that. It's not all that hard to understand when and where it's appropriate to insert an apostophe. Anyone can google it, you don't even need to crack open a book and sift through it's content.
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Yeah but I hate that it's
                          Clearly.

Comment

Working...
                          X