No announcement yet.

Anyone Know in what San Dimas serial# range we started to see less Strat Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know in what San Dimas serial# range we started to see less Strat Heads

I have a number of USA guitars. 2 of the 4 guitars Ive put together from parts Ive collected on Ebay. Anyone know what serial number range that we really started to see a big decline in Strat head guitars being produced out of the San Dimas shop?.. I reallize that in at a certain time period everyone/or almost everyone was ordering pointy head guitars yet as i understood it in 84-85 there was increased pressure on Charvel/J to stop with the strat head production. everytime i see a guitar like this one pop up http://www.ebay.com/itm/160747166397 I wonder whether the 4000 serial # range was about where it really slowed.

I think the Strathead stopped way before 1984. I think it was around late 82/83. I know there were a few made after that but not many.

Comment

I'm not sure... I do know that factory Jackson stratheads are much more rare than Charvel stratheads... I remember the number being thrown around back a decade ago (and before the PC stratheads came out) to number in the 30-60 total produced range. As for Charvels, sorry I don't know.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

does that 30-60 account for woodburn necks as well or just pre-assembled pieces?
        Haters gonna hate
        Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I had 5490 and it was an 86(ordered in 85).
          It had a city skyline graphic and a strat headstock.The original owner is a friend of mine and he said he was pissed as hell because it had a Jackson logo and a Charvel neck plate.
          I sold it to ALZ many years ago and it resides with Chrisintampa now.
          My friend was touring as the opening act for Deep Purple on their 86 Asian tour.
          So it was deff the last strat head Charvel and the next to last SD Charvel.
          Some of the last ones had Jackson logo's.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
            does that 30-60 account for woodburn necks as well or just pre-assembled pieces?
            No, that's 30-60 factory stratheads from the beginning to somewhere 1990-1991-ish.

I have no idea how many woodburn necks were made, but it could be anywhere from a couple hundred to perhaps a thousand or so.

You're far more likely to find a woodburn than a factory strathead.
            Last edited by xenophobe; 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM.

Comment

i believe it was in the early 2000 range.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance; what is a "woodburn" neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Frfurter View Post
                  Excuse my ignorance; what is a "woodburn" neck?
                  I believe that is was a replacement neck with the Jackson logo burned in to the neck heel.

Comment

It was right around serial number 2000. The pointies started around 1700, but after 2000 dominated and strat heads became more of a rarity.

Comment

YES they were. Ive had a few of them, both strat head and pointy headstocks were available and they came in 2 3/16 as well as 2 1/4" heal widths.

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      I believe that is was a replacement neck with the Jackson logo burned in to the neck heel.

Comment

were the strat heads you head 22 or 21 fret?
                        thanks
                        Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                        YES they were. Ive had a few of them, both strat head and pointy headstocks were available and they came in 2 3/16 as well as 2 1/4" heal widths.

Comment

I've only had 22 fret, i dont know if they were sold to the public, used as warranty necks or what, but they are great necks when u can find them.

Comment

I think these were sold sometime around the time they moved to Ontario from Glendora, so they were all 22 fret. I'm thinking they just wanted to sell out of their inventory of stratheads because they had stopped offering them by that time. The woodurn pointies are far fewer in number. I've seen maybe 20 woodburn strathead necks... I think I've seen 2 or 3 pointies.

Comment

I h
                              Last edited by Predator1; 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X