Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be happy with a charvel?

Hi guys,
    1st post here... Just wondering if I could get some feedback from some charvel users. I've been looking at getting a charvel guitar or a guitar with greater higher fret access. It's hard to play notes higher up on my les paul even with the 60s neck(I have small hands). I'm talking stuff like the 20th and 21st fret area.

That being said, would the charvel be a good fit? From what little I've read, it seems that the charvel necks are similar to fender strat necks? I haven't been able to try any here, but I do have an American strat and the neck feels a bit thicker than the les paul 60s neck, and it does seem like the heel area gets in the way when I need to hit high up. Not nearly as bad as the les paul(no upper horn), but enough to make me wonder if something with a more tapered heel(if that's what it's called) would be a better choice.

Also, would I be able to get thicker tones with the charvel? As the body is like a super strat, I'm hoping it doesn't sound like a fender strat with a humbucker in it. I didn't like that tone too much, seemed thinner than going through a lp.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

I picked up a Charvel So-Cal a couple months ago. Best guitar I've ever played. The selling point on Charvel's is their neck. I have yet to find a neck that fits my hand so well, it's oil and not lacquered, so its very fast and comfortable. I think the sound is much fuller than a Fender Strat, and the Tone Zone pu gives it a crunchy tone with enough high end for leads. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

You'll have no problem accessing the higher frets. I'm a George Lynch freak and can play his stuff; which if you know Lynch he does a ton of stuff from the 19th to 22nd frets. Most online stores (that have them) have a two month return policy, if you don't like it for any reason. Seems like a no brainer to give it a try.

Comment

Hey csoios,
      Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I'm in Hawaii and shipping would back and forth would be a killer...and I can only afford a used one...How would you describe the thickness of the neck, like an Ibanez wizard? Les Paul 60s, etc? To me, the shape holds me back more than the finishing(then again, I can't shred like crazy).

Any problems doing whammy stuff? In terms of staying in tune? My guitars are currently all hardtail as I didn't like the muss and fuss of the tremelo...but I messed with it a long time ago...

Thanks again!

Comment

Hot licks inc in aiea is a jackson dealer. Have you checked them out?

Comment

basically all strat shaped guitars would allow you to get higher up on the fret board, if that's your only concern "for a good fit"....
          charvel neck profile, especially the japan ones (i'm not sure of the so cal models), are thinner than fender. i would recommend charvel fusion models, 24 frets, short scale (like your lp) and neck heel scooped so it's out of the way of your hand when doing solo around the upper frets. check out this: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...rt-guitars.php

Comment

Also maybe look for a 750xl as it sounds like you like the tone of mahogany.

Comment

Hey thanks for that input guys. I guess I'm just concerned that the charvel will be just like playing a fender strat but with better pickups and a floyd...

I've been to hot licks before but previously only looked at their les pauls... I'll have to stop by there and look at other stuff that they have. Thanks for that info, didn't know they were a jackson dealer!

Comment

any of the older charvels and even the higher end charvettes have awesome neck access, and the necks in general are amazing, in my opinion. Make sure the charvette is MIJ though. otherwise there crap.
                Last edited by guitarguy2237; 03-27-2012, 09:35 PM.
                I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Howzit Alphadog- I'm on Oahu and have 4 charvels (USA's So Cal, San Dimas Style 2, San Dimas Batch 7 HSS & a Japanese Wildcard 6) you can try out if you like - in fact I may have one for sale. PM me with your contact info.
                  Last edited by G333; 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Jcf does it again!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I'm leaning towards that fusion guitar or maybe a pro mod? I'll def hit you up G333....I'll send you a pm.

if you have any other thoughts, don't hesitate!

Comment

comparing a super strat tone to a LP, longer scale, no mahogany, its always going to sound brighter or thinner no way around it, especially a promod with maple board. you want LP type tone and higher fret access, buy a short scale jackson or a BCRich.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a model series either. I'd try one if you get the chance. I have a Jap Promod SD that I just love.

Comment

Thanks guys. For kicks, I tried messing with my prs SE 22. It didn't sound as ballsy and thick..even though it supposedly has mahog/rosewood. It is thinner than the LP. I'm assuming the thinness came from the strings(9s rather than 10s) and the fact that it's a longer scale than the LP? I'm not too familiar with different scale lengths, but if it does that to the tone, I might have to really look at guitars with the LP scale length..

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
                              Hey thanks for that input guys. I guess I'm just concerned that the charvel will be just like playing a fender strat but with better pickups and a floyd...
                              Yeah, pretty much! (It is what it is) Except for the neck is completely better....

That's part of the charm, familiar and comfortable Strat shaped body with hot pickups and a great neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X