No announcement yet.

Bends choking out past the 12 fret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering about the best way to adjust the action on Production Models/Pro Mods. If I want to lower action should I lower the Floyd Rose? I read there was shims used somehow to correct the neck angle with teh floyd and I'm concerned that lowering the action at the bridge will mess the angle up. Should I leave it be, or take out the shims and then lower the floyd, or tighten the truss?

Comment

I believe on the early models they used a shim in the neck pocket but then later on started angling the neck pocket so there was no need for a shim... But don't hold me to it. Have you had the guitar setup by a professional ? Also note, some Floyd's have shims under each saddle... I've yet to actually see it but I know it's been done.

Comment

Also, as far as I know, the truss rod will play very little in getting lower action unless the you let the neck run wild for a while without proper care.... You may notice I small difference. But the bridge is going to determine the big picture.

Comment

A USA Charvel neck should not need a fret dress!
          Or scalloping or shims!!!

The problem you describe can be easily fixed with a quick truss rod adjustment and a a tweak of the bridge post height.

Don't get stung for a fret dress (which often means a tech will polish the frets and nothing else!)

Comment

Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post
            Also, as far as I know, the truss rod will play very little in getting lower action unless the you let the neck run wild for a while without proper care.... You may notice I small difference. But the bridge is going to determine the big picture.
            I disagree - the amount of neck relief plays a very important part in obtaining the desired action. Unless the relief is correct then no amount of bridge height adjustment will create a low playing action.
            It is also very dependent on your style and string gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
              The reason why these guys scallop the dusty end of the fretboard is because the frets there are really close to each other, and a scalloped fingerboard makes fingering more accurate. This is also why Uli Jon Roth removes the half-tone frets above the 24th on his guitars, simply to have more real estate on which to put his fingers.

Scalloping has no tonal advantages.
              That may be, but scalloping on the higher frets do make the notes ring louder.

Comment

Working...
              X