X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean Floyd on Charvel USA So Cal ?

Korean Floyd on Charvel USA So Cal ?

If "yes", what`s the disadvantage?

I believe they are ping original Floyd roses. That's what's on my slime green USA style 1. Most people have no issues with them. Me personally, I'm not exactly Impressed with mine. I've had issues with it binding slightly at the posts and not returning back to zero point after I use it. Most of them are great though. I will be switching to a German OFR within the next month.

Comment

these are not pings. pings are made in china these are made in korea. There are no disadvanatages. I've heard a lot of stories of the german ones having just as many issues as the korean ones.

Comment

The only thing I have found bad about the Korean ones is the trem arm stud they break easily because its a cast part.
        Just install a German stud and you are good to go.
        Last edited by straycat; 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mines a piece. But that's just my experience with mine

Comment

Mine have all been great. I also like the EVH branded one on my Wolfgang Special, which according to folks here is the same thing. Seems like it to me after checking it out. I ordered a 1984 Floyd Rose last night and I guess we'll see how that one stacks up.

Comment

The old vintage Floyds are built like tanks - way more robust than the Korean, and, even the newer German OFRs. Still, the new German Floyds are made better than the Korean version, IMHO.
              '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
              '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
              '98 PRS Custom 22
              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

They also have a chromed brass block instead of a zinc alloy block. The nut,studs, posts and saddles are made of hardened steel on the German Floyds the Korean ones are not.

Comment

I have read that the Korean Floyds are built with tighter tolerances because the tooling is newer than what is used to make the German OFRs. I don't have a problem with either (aside from the trem arm collar on the Korean versions), but the Koreans do seem to be constructed a lot tighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    these are not pings. pings are made in china these are made in korea.
                    And the Pings would also have that weird Ping logo.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Was sa matta ..you no like Korleans. Fukchoo!!! We no like US either, U round eye cocksuckies.

Wun Lo Bal
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've noticed that the trem arm gets looser and looser until it finally falls off after an hour or so with me, like the thread tolerance is real slack. Do German Floyds do this or is it my man grease? Never had this problem with JT-580's or German Schallers come to think of it. PTFE tape?

Its a pain because when I reach to get it, of course it swings wildly the other way...and then sometimes falls off...which is great for Drop Dead Legs...

I don't know if that means the thread is better or worse on Schallers, maybe its worse if they bind, but it pisses me off personally.
                        Last edited by ginsambo; 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM.
                        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                          I've noticed that the trem arm gets looser and looser until it finally falls off after an hour or so with me, like the thread tolerance is real slack. Do German Floyds do this or is it my man grease? Never had this problem with JT-580's or German Schallers come to think of it. PTFE tape?

Its a pain because when I reach to get it, of course it swings wildly the other way...and then sometimes falls off...which is great for Drop Dead Legs...

I don't know if that means the thread is better or worse on Schallers, maybe its worse if they bind, but it pisses me off personally.
                          Order yourself a Schaller made arm assembly - problem solved!
                          '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                          '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                          '98 PRS Custom 22
                          '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I posted a solution to this problem of the loose trem arm a few years back.

It's been working fine since.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                              They also have a chromed brass block instead of a zinc alloy block. The nut,studs, posts and saddles are made of hardened steel on the German Floyds the Korean ones are not.
                              you're confusing korean floyd specials with korean floyd rose 1000s, which has the same specs as the OFR. no zinc parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X