Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel So Cal and San Dimas paint craks

Hey guys,

I`m just about to buy two Charvels one USA and one Japanese, but I`ve heard so many stories about nasty paint cracks.
    Mainly around the cavities.

Why is that happening?
    I mean ,it seems that`s not only an isolated case but many.

One guy on ebay is selling a black one cheap because he tightened the back covers with a power screwdriver and the paint cracked. I dunno any more info.
    Last edited by DonP; 06-08-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Nasty paint cracks? I wasn't aware of this being a problem.

I own 4 and have played alot more and never heard of this being an issue.

Comment

I have 3 and have seen and played many many more.

I've never seen or heard of this being an issue.

Comment

I think he is talking about the issues associated with the trem plates being put on while the paint was still wet. I have had six pass through my hands and two had this issue. It otfen happens when the cover is removed by prying it off. I use two way tape and have managed to remove a couple that were wedged in ther tight without damage.

Comment

I think he is talking about the issues associated with the trem plates being put on while the paint was still wet. I have had six pass through my hands and two had this issue. It otfen happens when the cover is removed by prying it off. I use two way tape and have managed to remove a couple that were wedged in ther tight without damage.

I had that happen to one of my USA Pro Mods also. It wasn't a matter of the paint not being dry, it was about the size of the route for the back metal cavity covers. I've had 2 Pro Mods and one (my slime green that I still have) has plates that fit fairly well so there is no issue. My other, which I don't have anymore (Trans Candy Magenta) had cavity routes that were slightly smaller and the cavity plates, (when screwed on) stuck in the routes and when you wanted to take it off, it had to be pried with a small screwdriver. One time the cover popped off along with a paint chip from the edge.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

I agree, the back covers are all over the place with the USA's, not a good fit at all and are sloppy routed. It almost looks like filler was used on the Style 2 I have, its black and easy to tell.

I have a slime green with a neck crack (Fender typical) and a Wildcard #2 which had such a tight neck joint it chipped and lifted the paint on one corner of the neck pocket heel on the face of the guitar, right on the corner. It is only 1.5mm and is half attached still and could be invisibly reglued. I guess the paint was projecting slightly and was the first to give.

I thought these were standard Fender issues? I mean almost every Fender Start I've played has a neck pocket finish crack.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
              X