Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Mod action question - 12th fret vs. 22nd measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Mod action question - 12th fret vs. 22nd measurements?

I am convinced my '08 Style 1 needs a shim in the neck pocket, but I would like to confirm by getting YOUR measurement.

When I measure my action in the 12th and 22nd frets, the height is virtually the same. There is usually a gradual increase in action height from the 12th to the last fret, at least in my other guitars. So, I am thinking I need to shim to get the neck angle right, and be able to lower my Floyd and bridge pickup.

Can someone measure their perfectly set up Charvel, and see what the increase is from the 12th to the last fret??

Thanks!
    '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
    '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
    '98 PRS Custom 22
    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Well I always have a small amount of relief and this is more prominent around the midlle of the neck because of the slight necessary bow.
    My action is pretty much the same height all the way up as it should be.
    Shims should only be required if the angle of the neck means that you can't get the required action by adjusting the bridge!

A badly set up guitar will have an increase in height towards the bridge, and don't forget that truss rod asjustment and relief play a massive part in the set up of the action.

This applies to all my guitars including strats, teles and charvels.

Comment

When you say small amount of relief, how small - less than .010, more?
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

No more than that - sight along the neck from heel to headstock and you should see a very slight dip in the neck.
        Its all a personal thing, some people like lots of relief especially with a heavy gauge and style and others prefer a nearly straight neck - I'm somewhere in between!

Don't get hung up on measurements - they mean nothing and should only be used as a factory setup

If you are unsure then get your guitar to a tech and let them advise you.

Comment

Measure your relief using the string as a straight edge (capo'd at either end of the fretboard) and measure at the 9th fret I think?

I think I remember a value of .007 between the underside of the high E and the top of the 9th fret.

Do some google searches to verify this info.

Comment

To test the neck relief simply hold down the low E string at the first and 22nd frets at the same time. Then tap the string right on top of the 9th fret. If you hear a little ping it means the string is clearing the fret. I like to have my neck about as straight as possible with just enough relief that it pings when I do this.

Regarding shimming the neck, it sounds more like you may just have to adjust the bridge height. This is easily done just by turning the trem posts. Because the knife edge is againsts these posts I like to loosen the strings before adjusting the post so I do not hurt the knife edge. Also, make sure both posts are the same height after you adjusted them so the trem isn't sitting angled in the pivot slots.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
              I am convinced my '08 Style 1 needs a shim in the neck pocket, but I would like to confirm by getting YOUR measurement.

When I measure my action in the 12th and 22nd frets, the height is virtually the same. There is usually a gradual increase in action height from the 12th to the last fret, at least in my other guitars. So, I am thinking I need to shim to get the neck angle right, and be able to lower my Floyd and bridge pickup.

Can someone measure their perfectly set up Charvel, and see what the increase is from the 12th to the last fret??

Thanks!
              Wait a minute here... you want to adjust your guitar's neck angle to make it play worse in the higher registers because it's been set up the way it has?

Are your frets even buzzing?

Your guitar may be set up perfectly and you might throw it out by adjusting it. If you don't know how to do basic maintenance, take it to someone who does.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post

Thanks!
                dont touch it,like the others said as long as there is .007-.009 relief at the 9th fret you are good to go. is the neck buzzing? dead notes when bent? if not leave her alone bro! these two are just like you describe and

Both have a micro action of under a 16th" at the last fret with NO excessive buzz or dead notes when bending 1-1/2 steps

Comment

Thanks for the advice, and measurements.

Some background on myself, I've been playing for over 30 years, have owned and set up about 20 guitars with Floyd's over the years, and the only thing I can't repair on my guitars is the frets. I am also very picky on my action, setup, and the feel of the guitar, which is why I wanted to make sure my Charvel neck pocket/angle is set up like everyone elses.

Now that I know it is, I just have to mess with the setup until it's to my liking.
                  '98 PRS Custom 22
                  '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                  X