86 Charvel Strathead - authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Charvel Strathead - authentic?

Hello everyone - I haven't posted in a long time but I came across a Charvel that I need input on. It's at my local GC and it initially seemed right - the plate with serial number 5389 is legit - the Grovers, control covers, knobs, buttons and trem seem right as well. It would be a very late 86 Strathead if it's the real deal. It has a one-piece birdseye maple neck, and a 2-piece quilt maple body (solid, not laminated). However, the Charvel logo does not have "Made in U.S.A." under the logo, and the neck cavity does not have any writing. There is very faint writing in pencil on the neck heel, hard to discern what it is though. I'd like to know if it's a copy or real (even though it's got authentic parts) - before I make any sort of offer. What's your thoughts on this guitar? Here's a bunch of crappy cellphone pics. Any and all input would be awesome - thx!

This was on CL for a while with no takers. I'm not an expert but the older ones I've seen have the year written in pencil in the neck pocket. I've never seen one with those style Grover tuners. It's really hard to say. I can tell you that the guy who had it on CL was asking $1700 which I think is kind of low for a authentic pre-pro in that kind of shape. The problem is that it's pretty easy to make a fake.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Suspicious run the serial # if you can and see if it is kosher. Seems too good to be true...
      Emerald
      http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html
      http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Elect...veStevens.html
      http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_heritage
      http://www.garymoorefc.com/guitars_hamer

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
        Suspicious run the serial # if you can and see if it is kosher. Seems too good to be true...
        Emerald
        I agree. That # is later than some of the production guitars if that means anything.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

the only thing charvel on that is the plate and possible the bridge, tho that could also be a newer grover series bridge. Neck is wrong, as is the body. thats $550 worth of parts, plus paint and plate.

Comment

It's a fake
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

wasnt that one listed in the "fabulous fakes" list for a while?
              Haters gonna hate
              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! Glad for the confirmation. And that "fabulous fakes" page - that may very well be the same guitar! You guys are good - take it easy

Comment

I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as the rest of the group
                  but that Charvel logo on the headstock is a big clue.

Comment

That's a good looking guitar, I can see how to the untrained eye it could pass as a legit Charvel. I found what I think was the fab fake site that was mentioned. The pictures are really too small. Are the strap buttons on this one this one here right?

Comment

this one has more quilt than the fab fake, but very similar guitar. the people parting out the new ones has made some parts easier to come by. i know the bridge on the legacy is dead on to the vintage from what i could tell. hard to tell but that almost looks like the rectangular key hole saddles, very cool piece.

Comment

Even if it was real, wouldn't that high a serial number and the late 85/early 86 production date be more likely to be a pointy rather than a Strathead?
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yep somewhere after the 2000 range most were pointy. there are a few later strat heads, I'm willing to guess there are more floating around now than charvel actually produced.

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          Even if it was real, wouldn't that high a serial number and the late 85/early 86 production date be more likely to be a pointy rather than a Strathead?

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            Yep somewhere after the 2000 range most were pointy. there are a few later strat heads, I'm willing to guess there are more floating around now than charvel actually produced.
                            You're probably right about that. Sort of like how there seem to be more 69 SS Camaros today than there were in 69
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              You're probably right about that. Sort of like how there seem to be more 69 SS Camaros today than there were in 69
                              Good point roody.
                              I had 5490 which was a strathead that had a Jackson logo so they were out there toward the end of it all.
                              This one has a bone nut and didn't most pre pros have the phenolic nut?
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X