No announcement yet.

86 Charvel Strathead - authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why it's being called a pre pro? That's not a pre pro logo nor does a pre pro have a serial plate. The guitar is a fake although the shielding and wire appears to be out of a legacy. Better of with a legacy. Most likely musikraft judging by the body coontours.
    Last edited by voodoosound; 12-29-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
      Yep somewhere after the 2000 range most were pointy. there are a few later strat heads, I'm willing to guess there are more floating around now than charvel actually produced.
      they made stratheads as late as 86 that were logged. I have an early 86. While most were pointies they were still sueezing them through. Mostly for artists
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by voodoosound View Post
        Not sure why it's being called a pre pro? That's not a pre pro logo nor does a pre pro have a serial plate. The guitar is a fake although the shielding and wire appears to be out of a legacy. Better of with a legacy. Most likely musikraft judging by the body coontours.
        probably trying because of the 21 fret neck ...
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Authentic?...Nope!

Comment

The first pointy was in the 1700 range for serial numbers. This is a fake through and through. wrong logo, no pencil markings, Grover tuners, wrong string tree, not a phenolic nut and wrong strap buttons are not correct to a real 80's Charvel. Looks like someone built a mutt around a plate. Nice looking guitar but a clone none-the-less.
            John 3:16

Comment

Fake or not, a two piece solid quilt maple body is nothing to be scorned at and it ain't cheap either, but all the same the parts are a bit on the cheap side. They could have put some crownheads or octagon crownheads on there, and proper reissue strap buttons and string tree.
              Last edited by ginsambo; 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                Fake or not, a two piece solid quilt maple body is nothing to be scorned at and it ain't cheap either, but all the same the parts are a bit on the cheap side. They could have put some crownheads or octagon crownheads on there, and proper reissue strap buttons and string tree.
                It is a pretty guitar for sure. That one has been around for years. The plate is Charvel. The body is later and I am not sure of the source. I have seen other examples of the sane control cavity but not sure who made them. Neck was once belived to be a GMW
                It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Just checked back and thanks everyone for all of the great input! I learned a bunch A couple of things I noticed - even though it's a Charvel copy, it's a really good guitar. Several years ago I was around several 80s USA Charvels and Jacksons, as well as Japanese models. I've been in Gibson-land for half a decade now but I tell ya - this guitar felt old, looked old and loved, and was a very well put-together instrument. I'm thinking about throwing an offer their way - even though it's a copy, what would be a good price? That neck was killer -

Comment

If this was a GMW it would probably sell for $1500 on an average day although it's hard to say with copies. $1200 would be a sweet deal for such a nice body but you've got to swap out that horrible string tree

Comment

Working...
                    X