Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying/Value of a Custom Shop

Hey guys,

I have a Charvel Custom Shop guitar, which I know very little about. It's a great player and is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me with any information. I'm actually looking to sell it, but I have no idea what I should be asking for it on classifieds/ebay/similar.

What I know:

I bought it about 6/7 years ago from the US (I remember almost no other details)
    I was told it was built for Alex Skolnick (Testament)
    It has a light-purple quilt top on a mahogany body and a birdseye mape neck/fretboard.
    It is string-thru.
    It has an HSH configuration and came with DiMarzios, although these have been changed to Duncans now.
    It has a three way selector switch, with one volume and one tone knob. You can pull the the tone knob up.
    It has gold hardware, and abalone tops to the knobs.
    Serial is 950995.

Pics are here:

Explore buddyfuzz’s 7 photos on Flickr!

It comes with an original hardshell case, and I would sell it with the original DiMarzios as well as the Duncans.

Does anyone have any other information on this that I could tell people, or know what it may be worth on the market?

I would very much appreciate any help,

Many thanks,

Jonny

Good that you're honest about wanting to selling it, but most folks on this forum aren't really fond of these kind of threads... The usual answer to "what's this guitar worth?" is "whatever someone's willing to pay for it", so put it up on eBay with a $0.99 starting bid no reserve and see what happens.

Nice axe though.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

About tree-fiddy.
      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
      ENGL Powerball II
      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Ah, thanks a lot. I didn't realise that people didn't like these sorts of threads. Sorry about that!

Yeah, I will probably put it on eBay starting at 0.99, it' just that I also like to advertise in classifieds, as I think people should be able to come and try out the guitar/see it wherever possible, which you generally can't do on eBay. No worries though.

Thanks guys

Comment

I'm not sure how to price it. Not my style, a little to "blingy" and the headstock. I think ebay might be the right idea.

Comment

Is anyone able to offer any information regarding when/where it was made from the serial number? Or are things not quite that simple. I honestly have no idea how old it is or anything.

Comment

I think the guitar may have been made in 1995 around the time of the Charvel San Dimas Reissue series. It has some similar features to those, like the 24 frets and dinky body. I don't remember all of the details, but that etched plate and serial # scheme starting with 95 or 96 rings a bell for those too, iirc. Here's the catalog scan for '95 (note the trans purple one w/ matching headstock & gold hardware):

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?content%2FGuitar_catalog_scans%2FJackson_Charvel% 2F1995_Charvel_San_Dimas%2F

Last edited by dg; 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Just noticed in the catalog pics that some of the shots show a Jackson plate, but a couple show the etched Charvel plate. Probably because the plates weren't in yet for some of the early builds used in the catalog shoot. Typical catalog confusion for J/C. I'll try to find info on what serial scheme was used for those, or if anyone else knows, please chime in.

-edit- OK, found a great old thread w/ lots of info. Early ones did ship w/ Jackson plates, then came the etched Charvel plates with the year as the first two digits. So, if I were a betting man, I'd say your guitar was from 1995 and was either a full custom or a kinda semi-custom based on the San Dimas reissues they were doing.

Last edited by dg; 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Why sell it...? it looks amazing... oh yeah money <--- hur har
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Working...
                  X