F*ck with a CS Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F*ck with a CS Star?

After 2+ years pf playing my Custom Shop Star, I've decided I really like passive p'ups better. There's cases to be made for both types, but as a unapologetic waste-product of the 80's shred/hair metal era, I just dig the sound of a good passive humbucker. Leads to my two questions:

1) Do I risk fucking with a CS ax and go for the sound I'm really wanting- passive?

2) If so, which p'ups for it?

I'm a fan of SD JB's, Customs, EVH Frankensteins, WCR Murkat Floyd Specifics. Wondering which would work best for an 80's sound with a little more bottom than, say, the EVH or JB. No scooped mids, easy pinch and open harmonics and well-suited for lots of Floyd work are a must.

The ax has an alder body with maple bolt on neck and rosewood board. Very warm and crunchy sounding.

First I'd say: absolutely fuck with it. Life is too short to have a CS with pups you don't like. Not a thing about it that can't be undone anyway.

Second, Duncan Distortion?

Comment

Pickup changes aren't "fucking with" a guitar - I thought I was gonna read about a refin, kahler install or something LOL As far as pickups go, I'd suggest the Duncan Custom..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Is there a battery box in the body?

Comment

Just don't change the graphic and all is good. Custom Custom for the bridge, Pearly gates for the neck. Nice red Charvel logo!
          Last edited by AIC70; 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Pickup changes aren't "fucking with" a guitar
            +1. Entirely reversable, fuck away.

Comment

Trust me, DiMarzio Gravity Storms.

Comment

That's a damn nice guitar no matter the pickups. Switch em out. Look at the Seymour Duncan actives too.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

That's one cool Star. Liking the Red Logo.
                  As far as pickups that's really a personal preference, and depends on different factors, like string gauge, tuning, and the amp and settings.
                  With all that said I'd say a Duncan Custom. I had one in a Charvel I had before and I really likes it.

Comment

DiMarzio Tone Zone. Or if you really dig the JB, why not have Duncan's custom shop wind you one with a little more low end so you get specifically what you want?
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's yours.

Do what you want with it. That's the cool thing.
                      Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think any CS Jackson or Charvel is worth more or less with the original pickups.

Put what you want in it. It's a CS guitar. Putting in pickups you like more is something you're expected to do, IMO.

Oh, and I really love the SH-5. It's got such massive tone and squeal without compromising the somewhat cut mid-range.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Couple o' things- currently there are SD active Blackouts in there. I like the Blackouts but not enough freq. dynamics in them compared to passives. And EMG's? I can't stand the sterile EMG's so, actives are a "no go". Co-guitarist in my band has Gus G's which have a greater freq. range than other actives, with higher output of actives but the dynamics are still not as appealing as the passives. This means that there is, indeed, a battery box built into the control cavity (my suggestion to the CS, btw)

toejam- great idea. I have heard of this but had forgotten it was an option.

Comment

Well, since you already have a battery box why not go with the pickup models you want and then go with the standalone Blackout pre-amp? makes everything solderless too, which is nice.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Even better idea, Hellbat!

Comment

Working...
                              X