F*ck with a CS Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
    The lower the pickup out put the more dynamics and nuances it can produce. I had a long conversation with one of Duncans CS guys when i ordered a custom filtertron. the higher the output the smaller the frequency response, as output goes up you tend to lose tone, overtones and harmonics. this is part of the reason high output pups seem to have a tone focused in a certain range, and why active pickups have a broader frequency range and that sound that you can't get from a passive.
    This actually explains why I like the Demon and J.B. so much. I don't mind EMG 81 or 85 but they're def. not my first choice. I had a Duncan Invader in an old Peavey Nitro when I was 15 and it was just so hot that it's range was really really limited (at least to my ears) So I eventually swapped it out for a Demon and I've been using them since. If you go JB or Demon I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of them. Also anyone else on here ever been told or hear that an active pick up will sound the same in any wood it's put it? An old guitar teacher told me years ago that active pick ups don't let you hear the tone from the wood of the instrument like passives do. Any truth to that?
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-24-2013, 01:37 PM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
      I shouldn't be condemning BKP's because of one bad experience but truth is, it really soured me to using them. The Holy Diver didn't even arrive in good working order and rather than waste time and money sending it back over the big pond, I allowed my luthier, who is EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about pickups, to effect the repair. Still, the pickup was weak and sounded anemic. It had a nice rhythm sound but was just blah for leads.

I still want to try a SD BMP 1 or an EMG preamp with a low output p'up like the Screamin' Demon. Just want tighter, defined lows but with the same response dynamics I get with the Gus G's.
      Too bad you had a bad experience with them. I have purchased 4 of the pups from them and all 4 came in mint condition with no issues at all. They sound great and being high output have killer harmonics. Good luck on the tone search!
      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
      ENGL Powerball II
      Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
      1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
      1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
      2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
      2011 Jackson DK2M Black
      1987 Charvel Model 2 White
      2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
      1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
      1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
      2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
      2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
      2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
      2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
      2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
      2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
      2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
      1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
        Also anyone else on here ever been told or hear that an active pick up will sound the same in any wood it's put it? An old guitar teacher told me years ago that active pick ups don't let you hear the tone from the wood of the instrument like passives do. Any truth to that?
        Have read that on the internet several times. Absolute bologna. I have heard an EMG 81 in several guitars and have it sound clearly different. Yeah, the EMG character is there, but it's that way with any pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          Have read that on the internet several times. Absolute bologna. I have heard an EMG 81 in several guitars and have it sound clearly different. Yeah, the EMG character is there, but it's that way with any pickup.
          Yeah that's my experience with EMGs too, they sound absolutely killer in some guitars, not so good in some.

Comment

I just put a set of Mick Thompson Blackouts in my DK2M. They sound really good. Cleans are amazing and of course the crushing distortion on the other end of the spectrum is awesome. These are some good pups! Anyone else try them? They might be a good fit for your Star!
            "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
            ENGL Powerball II
            Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
            1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
            1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
            2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
            2011 Jackson DK2M Black
            1987 Charvel Model 2 White
            2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
            1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
            1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
            2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
            2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
            2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
            2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
            2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
            2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
            2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
            1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
              I just put a set of Mick Thompson Blackouts in my DK2M. They sound really good. Cleans are amazing and of course the crushing distortion on the other end of the spectrum is awesome. These are some good pups! Anyone else try them? They might be a good fit for your Star!
              I use the regular Blackouts and I love them!

Comment

Working...
              X