San Dimas Pro Mod Volume pot - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Pro Mod Volume pot - help

So.... I just installed an EVH low friction 500k in my San Dimas and it sounds great when it is full on and turns effortlessly for swells. But when I try to back the guitar down to clean it up I lose highs and it gets real muffled. Unacceptable!

The volume pot that came stock was a bit hard to turn to do swells and such. I did however love the taper from off to full on. I am one of those guys that gets all my dynamics riding the volume knob. I use it almost like a gain knob and back down to clean up and full on to solo.

I dont have a meter and there are conflicting views around here and elsewhere regarding what came stock with the USA ProMod San Dimas's. it does have CTS stamped on it and some numbers (??9407 0904) but does not state 500k or 250k? I do know the shaft was a bit longer on the stock pot because I have a solid shaft CTS 250k in my parts drawer but I think it will be too short in comparison to the other stock and EVH.

Bottom line the EVH 500k aint going to work for me.

So question 1) What did you guys use if you changed yours out? I need the audio taper I believe and I love the way the guitar sounded before the swap minus the hard to turn thing. Should I just go with a Les Paul style (long shaft) audio taper CTS?

2) 500k or 250K...... I still am using the Duncans JB/59 combo and do not want to change pups.

If anyone knows of a part number that I can reference with AllParts or StewMac (etc) I would be much obliged!

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by Tex; 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM. Reason: more info

Ahh, forget it. I will just do a treble bleed kit.

Comment

You need a brass shaft CTS 500k and thats it.Treble bleed kits tend to make a JB get woofy sounding IMO.
      If the JB is too brittle sounding to you go with a 300k CTS pot that will smooth out the high end of the JB.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Good advise straycat,

Well the EVH low friction pot was defective. A quality treble bleed kit just made it worse.

Finally I just put in a tried and true CTS 500k pot and it soved all my issues.

The Evh was noisy, had a terrible taper, and was causing this humming sound that was worse when the guitar volume was all the way down and yes all the grounds were correct and soldered well. Just a terrible experience all around with that EVH pot.

Dont get me wrong, I love Eddie, he a big part of the soundtrack of my youth and has created some very innovative gear products. Mucho respect and admiration for the man. But maybe Eddie should start writing some kick ass songs again instead of putting his name on any POS guitar product just to make a buck.

That EVH pot was nothing short of pathetic! I dont know maybe I just got a bad one, most people seem to love them.

Comment

Try the Bourns 82 pots. They are super low friction, but have amazing tapers.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion psychodave, I know Bourns makes some great pots. But I am going to stick with the CTS.

Before trying the EVH pot I have used nothing but CTS in all of my guitars for 37 years and besides the one that came stock on my San Dimas I have never had a bad one or one go bad. Sticking with what works for me from now on.

Comment

Working...
            X