Star meets SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star meets SG?

I'm curious about something.... I've always like the shape of a charvel star. I also like the upper fret access a gibson sg offers. Would charvel be willing to make a star with an upper bout like an SG? Something that's almost like the death angel guitar, but not quite and has more of a star body shape.

Hmm. Kinda like this?

Or this?

Attached Files

Comment

I just barfed.
      Look at the Carvin V220. Bottom wings are reverse from a star but hey you could get one in 8-10 weeks and not 2-3 years.

Comment

Looks like a V that got rammed up an SG's ass.
        And yes... I too threw up just a bit in my mouth.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
          I'm curious about something.... I've always like the shape of a charvel star. I also like the upper fret access a gibson sg offers. Would charvel be willing to make a star with an upper bout like an SG? Something that's almost like the death angel guitar, but not quite and has more of a star body shape.
          If you can draw something up, they might be willing to make it for you. I believe that's what Newc did when he had his white "War Angel" made.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Halford, a legend in its own time. LOL. The first thing that came to mind was that Zak Wylde gibson thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              The Halford, a legend in its own time. LOL
              And to think it used to just be a regular, black Warrior MG.

Comment

That's right, it's a three year wait. I might have to pass on it if the wait is so long. Maybe gmw or sully could make something for me.

When I picture it in my head, it doesn't look like a dean split tail. I just like the star and the upper fret access a sg offers and want to combine the two. I like how the star has rounded fins. I'd want mine to be rounded too. I'm also thinking of doing it as a bass- music man hum in the bridge, dimarzio woofer pu in the neck. Wolfgang neck profile, but adapted for bass and a cool finish.

Comment

Yeah, I'd talk to Sully or Mike Learn and see if they'd be interested in doing a shape like that.

Comment

This thing

Comment

As a bass, you'll find it quite neck-heavy unless you super-size the body.

The ZW thing is nowhere near a Star shape, so I'm not seeing the correlation, unless you guys are hung up on the ".. meets SG" thing. More like a Rounded Rhoads tail on an SG front.

What gives an SG the upper fret access is that the bridge is almost in the middle of the body, thus putting the 22nd fret right at the edge of the body. Rather than try to get an "SG front" on a Star, try a Warrior. It's not as rounded as a Star, and typically comes in 24 frets only, but you can't beat the access to the 22nd fret if that's all you want.

Additionally, the one issue I've always had with Stars is that the lower front horn is in the way if you're doing "shred hand position" up there. It limits me to "Blues Hand". Not that I do much shredding, but when I need to extend my hand, I don't want the guitar getting in my way.

But if you do go Jackson CS, and want something visually similar to Zakk's VG, I'd go with a Death Angel front and KV tail. You won't get the symmetric front like the SG, so there shouldn't be an issue with Gibson's design.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X