NGD but some issues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD but some issues!

Ok, so I picked up a 2005 charvel pointy reissue at the start of last week. I only really got around to looking at it properly last night and there are a couple of issues. Firstly there is a serious amount of fret buzz. Now the action is low but not really low. The neck is straight but with a very slight amount of relief. When I hold down the strings on the first and last fret there is a small gap (just less than 1mm) at the 7th fret.
    The second issue can be seen in the photos. Low E string much closer to the edge of the fret board than high E at the 22nd fret. Low E runs over the top of the pickup pole pieces whereas high E runs clear to the inside of the neck and middle pickup pole pieces but is center on the bridge pick up pole piece.
    So... I'm not a guitar tech. I can re-string, tune, intonate and balance the floyds on my guitars. Is this something I can deal with on my own or should I get a tech/luthier to sort it for me. Anyone else experience this with these particular guitars.
    I have a feeling it may have gotten knocked about while being couriered.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Power chords...what more do you need?!

Neck is crooked in the pocket.
    Loosen up the screws and see if you can align the string and tighten it back up. Nut looks perfectly positioned.
    As for the buzz, sounds like the truss rod needs to be tightened up a bit.
    -Rick

Comment

I'd recommend you have the frets looked at to see if there are any high/low frets and possibly level and crown.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Ok, so removed the neck and found a white card well shaped shim at the very bottom of the neck pocket (outline can be seen in the photo) would this have been factory fitted?
        Another shim at the bottom two neck screws made from string packaging (guitar tech?) I used this as a side shim on the low E side and refitted the neck.
        [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Neck alignment looks better.
          As for the shimming, sounds like the previous owner or his tech tried to get the buzz out by shimming the neck.
          J/C techs have been known to do this as well when doing the initial setup, but based on your issues, I say it was done after the fact.
          Take it to a reputable tech and have the truss rod properly adjusted and have the frets leveled and dressed.
          -Rick

Comment

Sometimes you also shim some angle in the neck for action if you like to pull up on the bar
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I'm not a big whammy bar user. Dive only usually does me fine also I'm keen to fit a d-tuna for versatility if I can get this thing playable. Being from Northen Ireland the selection of good used jackson charvels that you can go have a look at is very slim so ebay tends to be the main avenue to source from. You're always relying on the honesty of the seller. While I never expect guitars to be perfect, this is the worst I've had in a while. Had been hoping to do the whole NGD with her and being all happy with my first USA charvel....ah well. Hoping to get it to my guitar repair guy today.

Comment

I have yet to see a reissue with a Floyd that didn't need a neck shim. They seem to have cut all the neck pockets for the angle of a vtrem.

Comment

I know these have a compound radius. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Comment

Its 12-16" isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by EPB View Post
                      Its 12-16" isn't it?
                      Yes. As I recall the bridge should be set to an 18" radius which is probably is.

Comment

It's away to the guitar tech yesterday. So I'll see how he gets on with it...

Comment

Working...
                        X