Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Production San Dimas UK valuation

Hi All

I haven’t been on here for a few years since the time I originally bought my USA production San Dimas 1 2H. While you guys no doubt love your USA Charvels I have to confess that mine hasn’t been my “go to” guitar. I don’t know whether it’s the longer 25.5” scale length or the chunkier feel to the neck but I’ve always leant towards my Gibsons. Nevertheless, since these were limited run guitars and since I’m an ‘80s metal fan, I’ve always held on to it but am now at the point where I’m finally considering selling.

The guitar itself can only be described as “as new” with no dings, swirls or scratches whatsoever. It’s also completely stock and un-tinkered with. I bought it brand new from Guitar, Guitar UK and, as a home player, it’s never left my house since the day I first got it. I can’t see any discernible fret wear which is no surprise, given its occasional, light use.The only slight negative, depending on how you look at it, is that it’s in the gloss black finish from the first 2008 run so is not one of the bold or luminous colours that came out in the various batches released at the time.

I haven’t seen these come up on eBay UK since I've been looking so am not sure what it would be worth if I sell it. The current exchange rate is US$1 to GBP£0.68. However I also know that USA products are generally more expensive when bought in the UK- often the cost of new goods in £ can be the same numerical figure as the US cost in $; and vice versa for UK products bought in the US (e.g. Marshall amps). I also suspect that anybody in my neck of the woods who is looking for a USA production Charvel would, unless they’re very patient, probably have to import one from the US for an additional £50-60 postage cost. I believe, despite being second hand, UK customs would also charge import duty and VAT (Value added tax) on top too. These seem to be 3.7% and 20% respectively.

So, given the above, what do JCF members consider to be a reasonable UK asking price for my guitar?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Alan
    Last edited by alanhindle; 01-02-2016, 04:54 PM.

I'm in the UK like you, and I also have one of those USA picked up from GuitarGuitar

As you say, USA Charvels are extremely rare in the UK - I was searching for the best part of 20 years before I found one (no joke). The minus side is that only us old 80s rockers know what they are and appreciate them, if there was a market they'd have sold - some of the shops couldn't get rid of those USA limited run ones after the inital peak in sales to us lot. So whilst being rare, it's hard to judge how many buyers are out there.

Price-wise I reckon 700-800 UK pounds, but happy to be corrected.

Comment

i don't know in pounds, but in euros they was at about 1.150 new, so a right price would be around 800 €.
      i paid mine second hand 850€.

Comment

Pointy Reissues go for about £600 to £850 depending on condition. The USA Production models probably £600 tops. Neither will sell though. It might sell for £500 - £550 tops. I don't see it making £600, a reissue would, but even then, it would be a long wait. Not saying it's not worth more, just the market.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
          Not saying it's not worth more, just the market.
          I think you're right, there was a Candy Green USA SoCal on UK eBay recently just like mine (not that I'd ever sell it), bidding got up to £501 but it didn't meet the reserve.

Very occasionally, when I'm gigging someone will come up to me and say "wow, a USA Charvel" but most of the time people just ask "who are Charvel?"

Comment

Sad losers.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I assume yours is a strat head?
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes, that's correct.

Comment

£500 sounds about right but it might take a while to sell it

Comment

A used Kandy Magenta just went on UK eBay for £600 so I think that's what I'm going to look for as a minimum, given its condition and level of use.

Comment

Just an update for future reference for anybody looking to sell one.

It went for £629 on eBay. I'm kind of wondering whether I should have held out for a bit longer but I'm relatively happy with the price.

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X