2005 pointy reissue neck shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 pointy reissue neck shim

Just took the neck off of my pointy reissue. It was shimmed with four pieces of guitar string packaging cardboard. When the shim is removed the neck angle is too low for the Floyd-even with the Floyd completely planked. Is this normal? Thought the pocket would be angled correctly for the Floyd to at least be planked.

No, That is not normal.

Comment

Was it okay with the shims in there? If so, put them back in and don't worry about what the shim material is made out of. As long as it works...
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Fine with shims. They are back in.

Comment

Not sure if they did it from the factory like that, but stranger things have happened. People have used guitar picks and all sorts of materials as shims.

Comment

String container cardboard? Seems cheap. Neck pocket should be cut correctly it seems to me. Oh well.

Comment

Typical since 1983.....everything from cut up C/J business cards to slices of just writing paper.....
              Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I would re-shim with some better material

Comment

Any chance it started life w a Vtrem. None of my later CJs have shims but when I still had old charvels LOTs of them had shims.

Comment

Could have had neck pocket initially cut for v trem. Otherwise no signs that it ever JD anything other than a Floyd.

Comment

I have one with a Floyd and it needed a shim to float the trem. It was fine slammed with no shim.

Comment

every 2005 wtih a floyd I've had(one was a parts guitar that I build) had to be shimmed. all the neck pockets seemed to be cut for v trems.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          every 2005 wtih a floyd I've had(one was a parts guitar that I build) had to be shimmed. all the neck pockets seemed to be cut for v trems.
                          I had a 2005 Star with Floyd, I never took the neck off to see if it had shims, but it was pretty much perfect, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by contilon View Post
                            I have one with a Floyd and it needed a shim to float the trem. It was fine slammed with no shim.
                            When I wanted to drop my Floyd to the body to add a D-Tuna, I just shimmed the saddles. It was floating 1/4" off the body otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                            X