Question about Dimarzio HS-2 Pickups in Charvel USA Select HSS Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Dimarzio HS-2 Pickups in Charvel USA Select HSS Guitars

I just purchased a 2017 Charvel USA Select So-Cal HSS and am waiting for it to arrive. These come with Dimarzio Super Distortions and Dimarzio HS-2 single coils in the middle and neck positions. In researching the HS-2's I see that these can be set up as a humbucking or noise cancelling pickup or as a single coil. Do you guys know how the Charvels are set up?

I've read: bridge pickup only (position 1), bridge pickup inner coil and middle pickup (position 2), bridge pickup inner coil and neck pickup (position 3), neck and middle pickups (position 4) and neck pickup only (position 5

This seems strange that the middle pickup is not engaged by itself in position 3. Personally I rarely used the middle single coil so I'm looking forward to a new twist. But what I'm really hoping is that the neck pickup cleans up or sounds like a real vintage single coil ..... while also being able to noodle out souring, singing leads.

I'm really hoping this guitar is my 'does it all' guitar. I've got a LP, a strat and an old Ibanez RG550. They each do their thing well. I'm selling a 2002 MIJ Charvel Pro Series Traditional to make room for this one. It would be real cool if the neck pickup can do the hot rail thing and the vintage strat thing.

The HS-2 was Yngwie's standard neck/middle pickup for ~30 years. They are warmer than vintage single coil output, but by no means hot (no substitute for a Hot Rail). They do sing very well with plenty of overdrive, and maintain a very clear and authentic single coil voice (one of my favorites), but no hum.

My concern about Hot Rails is that they aren't much good for traditional Strat cleans, although a Cool Rail is much closer. Still, a Cool Rail doesn't twang like the HS-2 if that matters to you. I was going to install twin Cool Rails in my Soloist Pro along with a super switch to enable me to tap the CRs themselves for maximum cleans, but unfortunately, the older Soloists don't have enough room for aftermarket rail style pickups. Modern Jackson/Charvels have enough room to install various rails if you decide to go with those.
    '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
    '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
    '90 Charvel 475 XL
    '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
    Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
    Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
    Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Working...
    X