81 strathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 strathead

I found a guitar that I believe to be an '81 5-digit guitar, but it is fiished in bright pink.(looks original) My queston here is did Chavel (or anyone else for that matter) offer bright pink in 81? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: 81 strathead

Wasn't Charvel one of the ONLY companies offering wacky finishes back then? I remember as a kid we conned my buddy's parents into driving to Cleveland, or Cincinatti or something in late '81-early '82 because they were THE only Charvel dealer within a 250 mile radius, and they had blaze orange(must have been big with the rednecks), bicycle yellow, the bullseye graphic...so I wouldn't doubt a pink one.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt it either.

5 digit, eh? If you've found one, prepare for the volley of offers!

Comment

I know they offered the cool finishes but I'm trying to remember when the wild colors come out. If it was 83 or 84 then sure, but I just don't know about 1981. The ones I've seen seem to have more traditonal color schemes if memory serves me.

Comment

They also had a metallic pearl white one I remember them having to pry out of my hands like a crackpipe that day too... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I'm gonna get it if it is at all possible.
            The current owner wants it "sand it all down & tung oil it"
            I'm trying to get it before that happens. It's a wreck now with tape & black paint pen stripes but they will clean right off)and the bridge & pickup ring and cavity plate are GONE. There are 3-4 stings that look original spiking out of the headstock. I cant remember when my last tetnis shot was but I better get it back up to date before I start working on this one.

Comment

Sounds cool --- I would love to see it and buy it if you wish to sell [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

CHEERS

Comment

Beat ya to it Hossinator!!Chucksplatter

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

I've seen an 81 pink Star so it's entirely possible it's original.

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just spent the last 3 hours working on this guitar and the owner will not sell it (YET). I have managed to postpone the sanding down and tung oil job, at least for a while.
                      What it is so far.... He showed up with the ORIGINAL paparwork from where ordered it in 1981. Custom color: Hot Pink. We started cleaning it up and here is what we found:
                      The serial number 18504 on the neck plate and written in the neck pocket AND penciled on the neck heel along with the date 9-24-81. Dimarzio volume pot and a cream Duncan 59B-B pickup. Gold crown heads on a 1 3/4 21 fret maple neck. The missing pickup ring was apperantly no big deal since he drilled holes in the back of the guitar for the height adjustment screws to come in from the back. It also retains the original strap buttons & knob.
                      Hopefully he can live with the pink for a few more years or at least until I can convince him to sell it or trade me for pretty much whatever he wants.
                      He also is the proud owner of a 1962 candy apple red Fender Stratocaster which has also has A FLOYD ADDED!

Comment

Got any pictures?

Comment

Wow, in '62 CAR was a real custom color as it was not officially offered (you had to ask for metallic red). From '63 on it was a standard 'custom color'.

Comment

He says 62 but who knows for sure. It's a small Heastock though. With guy nothing would suprise me.

Comment

Krash what kind of neck on the 5 digit...maple 21 fretter or rosewood??
                              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Working...
                              X