To mod or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To mod or not

Hello. I have an 85 SD pointy maple neck with a Kahler.
    Problem is the Kahler is well, a Kahler and the 1 hum is not
    versatile enough for the kind of music the band plays (I need a front pick up). Personally, I want to play this thing
    and am thinking of modding it. (Floyd bridge/nut/back route and front pick up route). Getting the work done by a more than compotent repair dude is no problem. I have a lot of
    other guitars that fit the bill but I bought this one to play. What do you think ? Would I be doing the wrong
    thing by modding this awesome piece of the 80's ?

Thanks and I really enjoy the site.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: To mod or not

I've got an 83 San Dimas Pointy Head Bengal and when I asked this same question everyone here basically ripped me a new a-hole. It's you guitar so you can do what you want but these are so far and few between, why mod a piece of history? go get a GMW replica or a Wayne guitar, or better yet one of the new charvels, (Oh this by the way is what everyone said to me and after sitting on it for a while... well they are absolutely right.) don't mod it.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

And there ya have it!

Comment

If it's a player and you plan on keeping it in your possession, I say mod it to what you like. I think Kahlers suck and prefer Floyds anyway.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I wouldn't mod it! Use something else... or use different guitars for different songs.

Comment

You'll be sorry in the long run if you mod it.

Comment

There were only so many originals & some of them are gone forever because they were modded,please don't mod yet another!!Chucksplatter

Comment

If it's just the neck you like so much, put it on a Warmoth or Model series (Japan) body but keep the original body intact.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Realize that if you do mod it ( and I mean route out the body for a floyd and another humbucker) that the sound of the guitar is going to completely change. I have the Bengal that I mentioned, and several other "period" strats that all have floyds, and my Bengal sounds much fatter and I think it has a lot to do with having more intact wood in the body.
                  Don't do it, if it's the neck that you love, go with what Newc says, and get a another body that is already routed and put the neck on that. I know what you mean, my Bengal has a Kahler on it as well, it just doesn't compare to a floyd, but it's much easier to use alternate tunings on the fly!
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

It is just a guitar, mod the hell out of it. That was Charvels were for, the hot rod guitar company. MOD IT!
                    www.kiddhavok.com
                    www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's kind of like that scene
                      in Animal house (after all the tissue paper falls out). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I will give it some more thought.

Comment

it's your guitar do with it as you will...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Guitars are like 69 camero's, nobody wants to see them all stock & original! If they did, we'd all have vintage looking Fenders & Les Pauls!
                          Hotroding guitars is why most of the the aftermarket companys exist in the first place.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Guitars are like 69 camero's, nobody wants to see them all stock & original! If they did, we'd all have vintage looking Fenders & Les Pauls!
                            Hotroding guitars is why most of the the aftermarket companys exist in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, like the Camaro, if it IS stock it´s worth more in the long run should you ever sell it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I wouldn´t do it, but as others have said: It´s your axe [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I think you should leave it as is, and here's my reason.

Modding, outside of pickup and pot (not the kind you smoke - speaking of which, why no smoking Graemlin?) swapping, has run its course to me. When I was younger, I always wanted to tack something else into my guitars, this lead to routing and cutting and utterly contemptable things done to otherwise decent guitars. The worst casualty was a really nice old kramer into which I sunk three humbuckers and a every manner of switch known to man. In the end, the guitar was trashed because I didn't really use it with all the gizmos (gizmi?) Now, my tastes have changed, and if I want a guitar with a certain feature, I buy it.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X