Modding new Stratheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding new Stratheads

I think a lot of people here in JCF dream about custom shop Strathead Charvels. Since the Stratheads are back, but for some limited runs and not for custom orders, what do you think about modding these limited run Strathead Charvels the way one likes to have the guitar? Additional pickups, switches and controls, Floyd Rose, refinish ... ?

Re: Modding new Stratheads

I don't know about that..
    I think these guitars(Limited Edition) should be played but modding...?
    Maybe replacing the pickup,Volume pot for push/pull to split would be nice but adding something to change it completelly, I don't think it is a good idea...
    If you were to do things like that, it would be so much money to do so(I mean, you are already spending a lot for these Limited).
    I do believe many people who bought these will keep these guitars as they are.
    These guitars do have collector value as well.
    If I were in the position wanting extra pickups or switches, I would just build body only and use the neck of limited edition but that would look like I am crazy..
    I read John Levin's gear detail where he says he has 25th anniversary model WITH Floyd Rose on it.
    A guy like him who is on tour playing many nights would be using it as a tool and I understand.

I do believe these limited edition guitars have values as they are and not for modding.

Comment

Yeah I'd definitely not mod one unless I was stinking rich and didn't care about resale. For the price you pay for the stock guitar, you can order a GMW or Sully and get it pretty much any way you want it, then throw a Charvel decal on the head and be done with it.
      Better yet, get a Performance - same guys that used to build the San Dimas Charvels AFAIK.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yeah I'd definitely not mod one unless I was stinking rich and didn't care about resale. For the price you pay for the stock guitar, you can order a GMW or Sully and get it pretty much any way you want it, then throw a Charvel decal on the head and be done with it.
        Better yet, get a Performance - same guys that used to build the San Dimas Charvels AFAIK.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]
        I am not stinking rich. Nevertheless, I don't care for resale, because of Charvels are for a lifetime and not for resale. I care about the value the guitars have for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I do believe these limited edition guitars have values as they are and not for modding.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I also think these geuitars have collectors value, as long as they are not modified. If I coud afford, I would be at least two guitars, one to keep her original.

Comment

I say mod it to whatever you want it to be. I'm not into the whole collecting value thing. If you plan to keep it than have at it as long as its a tasteful mod, like added neck pick-up or OFR. No butcher hack jobs or washburn wonderbars etc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm with Shawn. If it is going to be a main axe, then start modding. I have a few SanDimas RR that have Kahlers on them and never play them because of it. If I played gigs with them, I would put floyds on them in a heartbeat. I am so used to playing strats no that most other shapes seem hard to play. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Normally I would agree that it's your guitar, do whatever you want to it to make it do whatever you want it to do, but I don't see the logic behind shelling out $3000+ for a Strathead and then adding pickups or drilling holes for a Floyd. It's just a headstock. It doesn't add to the tone, playability, or build quality, so just get a production model pointyhead and mod it, or a GMW Strathead done to your specs.

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Mod it. There is NO such thing as a new production guitar with "collector" value. That's silly.
                  Old San Dimas Charvies have collector value because they are over 20 years old and will never be made again. They represent an era to many of us that's special to us.

The new guitars are NOT old San Dimas Charvels. I'm not saying they are inferior at all, but I AM saying they do not have 20 years of mojo, nor do they represent an era. They are no more "collectable" than GMWs are. They are current production guitars.

Do you really think you can buy one and have it worth more in two years? Five years? Nonsense. They are tools, just as san Dimas Charvels were when they were new. Mod it to suit.

Comment

I'm with Newc - I don't see the point of buying these guitars and modding them - you're buying it because it is what it is, not what you could do with it.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

I'm with Chuckracer - they're new and as such aren't collectible. They may be in 20 years, maybe less, maybe more. At that time, an all original will be worth more, but is that $ difference (remember, we're now 10 or 20 years down the road) worth the 10 or 20 years of wishing it had an OFR every time you played it?

Comment

i wouldn't mod one. that's what import jacksons are for!! i agree with newc, for that amount of money order something else to your specs. personally, i think the best idea yet is if you HAVE to have that neck on a guitar, build another body to your specs and bolt the neck on.

chuckracer is right - for now. look at how people go crazy for the 20 year old charvels. yes these are production models, but they are limited to what was ordered, so in essence they could fetch retarded prices 10-20 years from now.

floyd equipped guitars are common now. if you really need one, buy a jackson or one of the new charvel pointies. 20 years ago when charvel was in its hey day, the idea was to buy them and hot rod them...you couldn't buy stock guitars like that. now you can.

just my $0.02.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm seriously considering doing it.

I'd never mod a San Dimas for the same reasons mentioned above. They'll never be built again, etc.

However, I disagree that the new stratheads don't/won't have collector value. Highly desirable limited editions like these will almost always have collector value. But that's more an issue to develop 20 years from now. For the next few years, that probably only means that they'll hold most of their original value better than a regular production guitar.

The bottom line for me is this: I've been waiting for nearly two years now for FMIC to allow J/C custom shop stratheads. Not no-options, predetermined limited collector editions. (Which, BTW, have had specs I do not desire.) I mean custom orders with specs done by me, to be played by me!

Looks like that ain't ever going to happen. ...And even if it does, it ain't happening anytime soon. So time's up. If FMIC doesn't want my money on a custom order, that's their loss. And, IMHO, poor business planning on their part.

But I'll still get a legit custom Charvel strathead done to my specs. It will be mod'd - not "original" - but that's not much of a concern to me. And, with a pro job, the cost will be in the ballpark of what FMIC could have otherwise charged me for a custom order. As far as customers like me are concerned, FMIC is shooting themselves in the foot. And I've pretty much given up on them. Very disappointing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

IMO, a limited edition is made as a collector's piece. Regardless of what it is. If it is a LE sculpture of the Venus De Milo, would you have arms added to her? I think not.

I'm not saying don't play it... that would be stupid. Play it everyday and enjoy it. What I am saying is... what differentiates the LE from a custom shop? The HEADSTOCK? Big deal! If you want a gig guitar that meets all your specs... order one. If you want a "collectible"... get the LE. I would not mod... regardless of resale value.

Comment

I realize the headstock doesn't make any difference in the playability, etc. of the guitar, but if having a strathead really doesn't matter, then why do we care if they ever bring them back.

Plus, every one modded makes the rest of 'em that much more valuable down the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X