Need opinions on Charvel order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on Charvel order

Ok, the Custom Warrior will not be happening like I hoped, so I'm working on getting a Charvel Standard Star.
    I'm short on cash and almost short on time, so I'll be stuck with a Solid Color.
    These are my color choices (for those who don't know):
    -Ferrari Red
    -Black
    -Snow White
    -Candy Blue

And fretboard choices:
    -Maple (very light in color from what I saw at NAMM, not birdseye, no "warmth" to the color)
    -Rosewood (hopefully as dark as the NAMM models were)
    -Ebony (I've got tons of it)

At NAMM there was every color except Snow White, but I know what it looks like. The only color I really don't care for is the Candy Blue, so that leaves White, Red, and Black. The maple they're using is very light - albino? - but still looks nice.
    Obviously it'll have a black pointyhead and black hardware, so what should I go with:
    -Black with maple board (nice contrast of colors happening there)
    -Black with ebony board (Death Metal - a yawner, but has aftermarket-graphic potential)
    -Black with rosewood (if all the rosewood is as dark as the NAMM models, it's very nice - if it's lighter like the Indian models, it's not as nice, but still ok.)

-Red with maple (think hot Blonde in a Red Dress)
    -Red with ebony (think Red Dress and black stockings)
    -Red with rosewood (color spectrum too narrow?)

-Snow White with maple (maybe do after-market gold hardware swap?)
    -Snow White with ebony (would the neck disappear in the shadows?)
    -Snow White with rosewood (too plain? then again the color transition goes from light to medium to dark (body-neck-head)

Considerations:
    -Basic Black is always nice and easy to graphic over.
    -Gold hardware looks great on black.
    -Ferrari Red with maple is a Classic Combo - see Akira Takasaki.
    -How many White Stars have you ever seen? Is there a reason?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Need opinions on Charvel order

Black with Maple would be my choice.
    If not, Black with Rosewood(yea I prefer darker Rosewood for rich looking).
    What about pickup configuration? 2hums?

I also saw one at DCGL.It was 2 hum with non trem?
    That color kicks ass but I guess that was a custom shop one off from Winter NAMM and non trem.

Good luck!
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It'll definitely be 2-hum with Floyd.

Alex, we NEED a Star for the Generator, man [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I have been thinking of Star body too but mine would be Jackson neck thru if I would order one.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I hear ya, but this is the only Charvel body style I really like. I've got plenty of Jackson "Strat-shapes" - plus that NAMM Star was just great [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Wish I could swing the $1550 EXTRA for the same graphic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I like black with maple for an old school metal feel.

Next would be white with rosewood, followed by red with ebony.

But I'd be happy with any of them.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

When i think of the Star body, i think shape. The Star has a distinct body shape. If you like the body shape, then display it - don't hide it. Black would be hiding it. White would be displaying it.

So, i'd go for white with rosewood. (With black body bindings... sorry LOL! couldn't resist). I'd choose rosewood because white/ebony/black would be too much contrast. I don't like red guitars, even though the red/rosewood/black with gold hw is quite nice and pleasing to the eye.

White would be a good base for later graphics too, i think.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Actually all 3 would be good starts for something like Blood Bath (pour black paint on the Red one upside down), or a nice Harley Davidson logo [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Why not a picture of yourself covering the front? Have Toejam take your picture with his skills and then clearcoating it onto the front of the new minty body. Perhaps with some metal flake in the clearcoat for that flashy look. Then hammer-in some chrome 3D metal Harley logo's on the fretboard - just make sure they're flush with the board. It's a player already! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

That works [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I'd go either red/maple or white/maple. Probably red/maple but then you have that other red guitar on the way. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Yeah, don't want too much red around here - might start to look like a (gear) wh0re house [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

White with ebony or red with maple.

Or, better yet, suck up the finish upcharge option (only $200 list price) and get the solid or transparent finish of your choice. Well worth it, IMHO. A star would look killer in, say, candy apple green or silver sparkle.

Comment

I have always liked the Red/Maple combo.

Comment

The Star is my 2nd favourite body style, after the Strat.

The guitar of choice is a question personal preferences. Personally, I love the feel of an oil finished birdseye maple neck, and for the fretboard I prefer brazilian rosewood with abalone dots. Flame graphics - like the Don Dokken Star, or the one HRF Star in the gallery - look great on a Star body. My other personal preferences are a recessed Floyd Rose, Schaller tuners, gold hardware, HSS (TB-6/STK-S1N/STK-S1N) and 3 mini toggles or with 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone.

IMO, black looks cool, with black or gold hardware, and with each choice of fretboard. But black is also a little bit boring. For a Standard Star with stock finish, the Ferrari Red would be my choice, and looks great with every fretboard wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X