Bullseye Reissue owners (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullseye Reissue owners (?)

What have you guys done with the AWESOME necks on these? Do you guys oil them up or have you just left them raw? To be clear, I am talking about both the back of the neck and the fretboard. Oil or leave alone?

Re: Bullseye Reissue owners (?)

I covered mine with caramel and jalapeno peppers. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, I hadn't dome anything to mine.

Comment

I have left mine as it came from the factory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I covered mine with caramel and jalapeno peppers. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote: I have left mine as it came from the factory.

Me too.

Comment

When I had mine for a short time I used Lemon Oil on the neck once to clean it up & re-string it,felt really nice,killer axes,miss mine bad!!Chucksplatter

Comment

I've lemon oiled mine once so far.

Comment

Hyperfuzz:

"Actually, I hadn't dome anything to mine."

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Dome? Done, that is... [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

i can stand puttin lemon oil on maple...... I use it on rosewood, ebony and pau ferro but I cant stand it on maple. i use a danish oil... never read the label...prolly the same thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Shreddermon

did it change the color? change the feel? I think some protection is needed, but I dont wanna ^&*( it up. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains alot here. What are your impressions after oiling it?

Comment

Sold mine - soon after Purchase - SO I left it factory, Lemon Oil would have been all over it by now - the neck that is DOOOHHHH

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Shreddermon

did it change the color? change the feel? I think some protection is needed, but I dont wanna ^&*( it up. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains alot here. What are your impressions after oiling it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for getting back to you after so long. I've been on vacation. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

With just one lemon oiling, there should be no change. I didn't notice anything. You probably won't notice anything until playing it for a couple of years and with several re-oilings. "Patina" takes a while to build. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

you can get tung oil at any furniture shop and just wipe it on with a cloth. I have an 84 strat plus that had the finish removed (sanded down to nothing) and I had it tung oiled, now it feels unbelievable, I just have to re apply about once every six months. Look into that
                          just my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I dont have a Bullseye, but I assume that you are going for that "old chavel" darken broken in feel. Lemon oil will not do it IMHO as there is nothing in it besides the mineral spirits and the fake lemon scent. It is a good cleaner as it is good to use sparingly every now and again on fret boards (I have been told that if you over do the oil on a board, it will actually eat away at the glue and loosen the frets eventually).

I have used boiled linseed oil (the raw stuff is way to smelly for my taste) with good results. The other thing that you need to doi IMHO is play the guitar a lot over time to really seal the oil into the wood. Playing it and then oiling/let dry every few months until you like what you see. I personally think tung oil is a little to strong (just my opinion).

If you are only interested in a slight color change/protection, then only do one application of the boiled lin seed oil. If you do not what to change the color of the wood, then lemon oil may be your best bet, but as I said, I do not think that it will really add anything in the way of protection.

HTH
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I agree tung oil can be to strong , but I just had this done to my 84 Start plus. Jim Mouridian in Cambridge fine sanded the "Satin" finish down to basically nothing and put a very light tung oil finish on. Just a bit on a cloth and lightly rubbed in . It feels f***ing amazing. He said re- apply in the same manner once every 3-5 months (depending on how much I play it) and I will be all set. Now my strat neck feels very similar to my old charvel/Jackson necks, but I understand they used a patented mixture of oil and wax sealer on those old San dimas necks, but this feels close. I haven't tried linseed oil, but enough people here recommend it so I would look into that as well
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X