Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom shop charvel/What fingerboard wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop charvel/What fingerboard wood?

Hi all, I am ordering a new Charvel with a mahogany body, but I cannot decide on the fingerboard wood. Since they offer Rosewood,maple and ebony at the same cost,which would sound best with a mahogany body.The guitar will have a Yellow bengal graphic. Let's hear the pro's and con's of all three,my order will go in on monday! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Custom shop charvel/What fingerboard wood?

If they offer Rosewood,maple and ebony at the same cost, why don't you ask them to make you one with all three different wood on the fretboard? (i'm not kidding)

Fong

Comment

I wouldn't use maple. It has nothing to do with playability or tone. To me the rosewood or ebony blends into a yellow Bengal graphic. Where a maple board clashes against the graphic. But thats just my opinion doesn't mean it's right.

Comment

I prefer Maple board over the Bengal graphic. But that's just me.

Fong

Comment

I've always liked the feel of Rosewood the best, and it looks great with a birdseye head. With the yellow bengal it would look killer. Although if there is any black in the paint, the Ebony would look good too. Make sure you post a pic when you get it, I'm jealous already dammit!
          If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

Actually, IMO Ebony would sound best with a mahogany body. Would add just enough brightness to the thick, fat mahogany (but in my experience dark-ish)tone. Close second would be maple. Feel's a whole other question. As for the Bengal graphic, as far as best-looking I'd say Maple, Ebony, then Rosewood.

Comment

I would use maple....but I am a freek, so... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]As far as the look of the guitar, Maple or Ebony would look great. IMO

Comment

IMO Ebony wopld sound and look best. The black wood fits great into the Grafix, and the slightly rounder tone than Maple complements the Mahogany perfectly [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Anyone who can tell the tonal differences between various fretboard woods must also have the ability to hear cricket farts. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Go with the fretboard wood that you prefer to see and feel, rather than hear. The latter is the least significant factor, IMHO.

And, IMHO, maple looks killer with bengal graphics. Ebony would be a close runner-up.

Comment

P.S.- From your post, I assume that you're ordering a USA Standard and not a custom order (...rosewood and ebony have a $25 upcharge on custom orders). How are you managing to get a mahogany body on a USA Standard?

Body wood is not an option on USA Standards - alder only. ...Unless you are doing a custom shop order, after all?

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

my preference would have to be maple...it goes with ANYTHING!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        my preference would have to be maple...it goes with ANYTHING!!!

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Any figerboard wood would be cool with the graphic.
                          I would say go with the wood you like most.

If I were you, I would go with Maple.

Comment

I've got an RR1 yellow bengal in here with a ebony board and it looks great. The fretboard matches nicely with the pickups, black stripes in the graphic, headstock and hardware. If you're going with mahogany as a body wood then it's definitely a custom shop guitar and Shreddermon is correct, rosewood/ebony cost a bit more than maple does if you're going custom shop. If you're ordering a USA Standard, mahogany isn't an option.

Not sure where you're buying this from Predator but I'll be happy to assist in your purchase if you'd like.

Matt
                            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

yeah bro, go with the ebony.

Comment

Working...
                              X