Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Charvels (pointies) Review

All,

I just got back from Make n Music in Chicago. They have 4 of the new charvels; 3 pointy, 1 retro bullseye.

I was very excited to get a chance to finally play these and after owning 40+ of the originals from the 80's so here is what I thought:

Honestly, I think they feel like GMW's. That said, I think all four felt slightly different. The one that felt most like an old charvel was the copper snakeskin graphic with 2 hums. The profile of this neck was nearly dead on and felt like an old one from top to bottom. The big negative on all these was the satin finish on the neck. While these guitars are close to the originals and in my opinion well worth the cash, they just dont fill the shoes of the old ones. I believe the biggest contributor to the "Mojo" of yesteryear is A)Well broken in neck from natural oils of the hand B) Time (aging).

So I say grab one, and have fun!

SCV

Re: New Charvels (pointies) Review

Thanks for the review.

How do you compare the Bullseye to the pointy Charvels?
    Two completely different necks.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Bullseye was great - I especially liked the one piece maple neck. In my opinion, this guitar felt exactly like a GMW rock replica though.

Why are they using chrome springs and screws on the vintage trems? The old ones were black. Doesnt affect the guitar but if you are trying to go retro, why not go 100%?

scv

Comment

Satin finish??!!
        I thought the most of San Dimas bolt on have oil finish.
        I even read on Charvel website where it says these new models will have oil finish.. maybe I am wrong...

Comment

Are you sure they aren't oiled and then waxed?
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I'm not sure about the wax? The necks feel and look exactly like satin finish to me. It doesnt feel anything like an oiled neck whether it be tongue or linseed. When I buy one, I am going to sand it and oil it myself.

Still, they are GREAT guitars!!!

scv

Comment

Do you live in the city or were you just visiting? I still have to get off my duff and get out to Make 'N Music. I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Ralph and I fell in love with the RGF and the Copperhead when we saw and played them at NAMM.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Ralph and I fell in love with the RGF and the Copperhead when we saw and played them at NAMM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two were gorgeous, and all the Charvels at NAMM had great feeling necks.

Comment

my bullseye came with black screws on the tremolo.

Comment

i would say it's satin. it's identical to the 25th.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      i would say it's satin. it's identical to the 25th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not the biggest fan of the 25th Ann., but the neck was oiled on the one that I played (MGGoldTop owns it now I think). Its not broken in of course (which would explain why people think it has a finish, but give it some time if anyone actually plays them - if you play the crap out of them, the "feel" will come.
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Of all the ones at NAMM I thought the Copperhead felt the best. I loved the way the red one looks but it has a huge neck on it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I loved the way the red one looks but it has a huge neck on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....hmmmm...*begins scheming*

Comment

Uh oh! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I loved the way the red one looks but it has a huge neck on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Are you talking about the Red one at Winter NAMM that RacerX is/was holding? with the brass Floyd? If that's it, I have that one and it has become my main player - I love it to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X