Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th vs Bullseye Ltd vs GMW

Folks,
    I'm seriously tempted by either a 25th Anniversary or a Ltd Bullseye strat head. I'm in the UK and will be ordering from the US, but would like some idea of the feel of the necks on the Charvels: I haven't played an original SD Charvel, so unfortunately that's no use as a reference, but how do the necks compare to either the 'standard' GMW SD type profile, or alternatively to a Musicman Axis?
    Thanks in advance
    Cheers and Happy Christmas
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: 25th vs Bullseye Ltd vs GMW

Hi Ian,

First thing to remember is that the nut width on the 25th is 1 11/16 (1.687) and the Retro is 1 3/4 (1.750) so right out of the gate the Bull has the more popular old charvel nut size ..
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

IMO,

25th neck=Fender CS profile
      Retro neck=Fender HM Strat profile

Both are very San Dimas-ish but neither is exactly an old San Dimas Charvel neck profile,close but.......!!

Comment

Kev, FYI, Chris c and I measured both, and they were both 1 3/4, at least on ours.

Who knows....

Shawn
        Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          IMO,

25th neck=Fender CS profile
          Retro neck=Fender HM Strat profile

Both are very San Dimas-ish but neither is exactly an old San Dimas Charvel neck profile,close but.......!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, yee speaks the devils words, be careful! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One nice thing about GMW is that Lee lets YOU choose the nut with. For me, 1 3/4" is way to thick (1 11/16" is as thick as I can stand).

Once broken in(read: re-oiled and played ALOT), my GMW compares very, very favorably to the San Dimas pointies that I have in both feel and profile (other than the fact that the GMW has a 1 5/8" nut which does change things a little)

BTW: My Charvels are from '83 plus with 1 11/16" nuts, after they more or less standardized the neck specs (unless you aksed for something different of course) from what I can see - with the early Charvels and especially the S-Heads - there is no real "standard" for neck contures).
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. I have 2 GMWs and another on the way, and love the way they feel (1 5/8 nuts) so really just wanted some kind of feel for how the Charvels compare....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ian
              Any pics of your GMW's ?

Mark
              Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

IMO,the GMW necks are the perfect repro of an SD Charvel,it's like walking into a music store in 82' & grabbing a new Charvel off the wall!!

Comment

Thanks for the info Shawn ... The specs on the 25th were written up as 1 11/16 .. Glad to hear it was corrected
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

my 25th is 1-11/16"

Comment

Shawn, "measure twice and cut once", bro. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On a related note...

FWIW, I have it on very good authority that many, if not most, of the early (new) Charvel pointies listed by dealers as 1 & 3/4 are actually the standard 1 & 11/16ths. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Remember, Charvel had this spec listed as 3/4 in the first 2004 price list. That was corrected with the summer price list. Simple mistake, folks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        IMO,the GMW necks are the perfect repro of an SD Charvel,it's like walking into a music store in 82' & grabbing a new Charvel off the wall!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, why are you pushin' this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          my 25th is 1-11/16"

[/ QUOTE ]

They are all over the map I guess..

Shawn
                          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

My 25th is also 1 11/16"...

Comment

All shops that i have spoken too list their 25ths as 1 11/16.
                              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Working...
                              X