Floyd or Vintage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd or Vintage?

I see Charvel is making/selling alot of new guitars with the vintage non-locking trems. I'm somewhat suprised b/c given the quality and reliability of the FR trems I've leaned that way for at least 15 years. I know some folks can keep the non-locking ones in tune but not me. So, what's the concensus here? Do you guys like the vintage trems over the Floyds? Or not? Like the simplicity? The tone? What?

Re: Floyd or Vintage?

I like the simplicity of a vintage trem setup. Typically, I don't use the vintage trems as trems at all. I'll tighten the springs ang keep the baseplate flush to the body. I have one strat that I have setup to actually utlize the trem, the rest are flush to the bodies.

So why not just get hardtails? They sound different to me.

Now, when I really want to whammy, I'll go for a Floyd or a Kahler.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

All a matter of personal preference!!I prefer a V-trem for tone/ease of tuning,a Floyd for heavy whammy abuse & the Kahler is a nice middle ground!! I don't use the V-trems on my guitars with pointy headstocks as they just won't stay in tune with the angle the strings take to the tuners,the V-trems work much better on a strathead!!All have their own pros & cons!!

Comment

The V-trem is there to keep all the old guys happy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There IS some truth to that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I am curious about the previous post by Blood Splatter. Does angle of the pointy headstock comprimise tuning on a string through body type Jackson?

Comment

"Old schoolers" will prefer the vintage trem. Single hums, too. I suspect this is why J/C has been using these on the new strathead models. However, I don't think Charvel realizes that very few of the "old schoolers" are even remotely interested in buying a new Charvel, no matter what trems or PUs they have. All of the "mojo" was left in San Dimas, don't 'ya know. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

IMHO, they'd sell more guitars if they used Floyds and HH or HSS layouts instead. I've been addicted to the tuning stability of Floyds since the 80s. And I need the tonal flexibility of a multiple PU arrangement. The single hum and vintage trem layout is the EXACT reason why I haven't bought one yet.

Comment

Old guys? I don't know, I'm 20 and have 3 1 hum v-trem guitars that sound sweet as hell and stay in tune. Of course it does take some TLC to keep them that way, but there isnt as much string breakage or frustration with setting up that comes with floyds. The brass blocks and saddles really contribute to a nice bright overdriven sound like early EVH or Demartini.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                "Old schoolers" will prefer the vintage trem. Single hums, too. I suspect this is why J/C has been using these on the new strathead models. However, I don't think Charvel realizes that very few of the "old schoolers" are even remotely interested in buying a new Charvel, no matter what trems or PUs they have. All of the "mojo" was left in San Dimas, don't 'ya know. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

IMHO, they'd sell more guitars if they used Floyds and HH or HSS layouts instead. I've been addicted to the tuning stability of Floyds since the 80s. And I need the tonal flexibility of a multiple PU arrangement. The single hum and vintage trem layout is the EXACT reason why I haven't bought one yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you really understand the point of me starting this thread. I see a guitar like this and I think Charvel has missed the mark.

It's gonna sound terrific but it won't stay in tune without alot of effort at the very least.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I am curious about the previous post by Blood Splatter. Does angle of the pointy headstock comprimise tuning on a string through body type Jackson?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. With the severe angle the strings take at the nut on the treble strings, the strings tend to bind in the nut slots when you use the bar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    So why not just get hardtails? They sound different to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    That's why Eric Clapton has his guitars equipped with trem bridges but has them blocked (even his signature models come blocked from the factory). He claims the springs on the trem give it a better sound than if he were to have a non-routed body with hardtail bridge.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I never really thought about it until now but I have two strats that I have never used the trem. One is 12 years old and still has the sticker on the trem arm hole.

Comment

Predator1,not the angled back headstock but the right turn the strings take after they leave the nut & head to the tuners!!Noodles is exactly right,the strings bind in the nut!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I think you really understand the point of me starting this thread. I see a guitar like this and I think Charvel has missed the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point. However, I didn't get that you were specifically asking about pointyheads.

No matter, though. Same thing applies to pointyheads as stratheads, IMHO. They're gearing many of them them towards old schoolers. Yet not many old schoolers are interested in a new Charvie, no matter how it's equipped.

Floyds and multiple-PUs will sell more guitars, IMHO. The only difference is that this is MORE true for stratheads than pointies because of the limited edition thing - we have no choice with stratheads. At least you can order a pointy to your heart's content. You'll just have to wait for it to be built.

Comment

Vintage trems are for Strat heads
                            Floyd or Kahler for pointy

My 0.02 cents

Comment

I think all the new Charvel models are indeed being marketed to the 30 - 50 year old set who would remember and relish the original Charvels with the brass hardware or locking trems. I think there is just as big of a market for the v-trem guitars (of this style) as there would be for a single hum strat with a Floyd.

I definitely prefer the v-trem over a Floyd on either neck type as every single one of my v-trem guitars are cranked back and locked. Floyds and Kahlers are nice at times but I have always been used to the brass v-trem tone so that's what I stick to.

Fortunately there is not a pressing need for me to buy a new one but for someone looking for a new guitar that resembles what could have been purchased in 1983 from Charvel, at least they can now get it. I think it's cool.
                              www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X