Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Guitar Mag - Charvel Spread

Hey,

Any comments on the new issue of VG? I have been waiting for 10 years for them to acknowledge charvels and they finally do it. I was kind of disappointed though; their "eye candy" selection was weak, but still cool overall. They should have placed a call to Bret or Tracy before going to print!!!

scv

Re: Vintage Guitar Mag - Charvel Spread

The VG Price guide has expanded the Charvel/jackson section this year. The info is not 100%, but way better than in the past. Prices are not really accurate either. Some are too low and some are way too high.

Comment

Typical,I let my subscription run out on that grampa mag & they finally write something about Charvels??WTF??LOL!!

Comment

<font color="yellow">Chuck..no bro [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

That's just YOUR luck man [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Pics, anyone?

Comment

I wouldn't run out and subscribe if you don't already. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]The article will likely be a letdown to anyone here. As with most of Michael Wright's articles in that column it is an overview of the history of the company. There is no glorification of the San Dimas years, Strat-heads, etc. and there is more space devoted to the Japanese stuff. Of the 9 Charvels pictured, only 2 are USA models. Other than that there are a few pic's of the early ads that we are used to seeing (and one of the Charvel GTM-6 MIDI controller).

The article is well written and a good primer on the company for people that have no history with Charvel.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The article is well written and a good primer on the company for people that have no history with Charvel.

[/ QUOTE ]
              The Wayne Charvel Book has a better history for people to read, if they don't want truth. Primer?? why start out with disinformation?
              Sorry just my 2 cents.
              There were emails back and forth to knowlegeable people about this article last year. They said it was in the making then it was quite and see what they do? The history is free for the asking why not ask before you write? Not 100% of the history will ever be known but they could have done better..

Comment

Agree 100% Hoss,it could've been much better!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

The Wayne Charvel Book has a better history for people to read, if they don't want truth. Primer?? why start out with disinformation?
                  Sorry just my 2 cents.
                  There were emails back and forth to knowlegeable people about this article last year. They said it was in the making then it was quite and see what they do? The history is free for the asking why not ask before you write? Not 100% of the history will ever be known but they could have done better..

[/ QUOTE ]

The Michael Wright write-up is a quick primer for many of the VG readers that have no background (or interest) in these guitars. He's confined to a 2-page article in his monthly column. This article has been in the making for at least 6-8 years. My guess is that he has about as much interest in Charvels as he does the Daion guitars that he featured about 9 months ago. I think the article is a good history of the company. It just dwells on the post San Dimas stuff that most of us don't want to hear about.

You are right that the VG article could have been better. I think Michael Wright would be insulted having it compared to the Wayne Charvel book though. The Wayne book is terribly written, short on facts, and not what I'd call unbiased. That sounds harsh - I know Wayne is an incredibly nice guy. He could have greatly benefited from hooking up with a real writer to put his story out.

The obvious answer is to have a Charvel nut with some writing skills send an article to VG. I believe they occasionally publish some freelance stuff. Focus only on the San Dimas era and include professional pic's of the guitars. Publishing a real book would be the best scenario but that's a financial dog.

Comment

well tracy been working one one for a long time. WE should just wait for his to be done. Many many knowledgable people contributed to it in different ways. This is just another "data point" in th4e history of these guitars.

Comment

Working...
                    X