Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am soooo sad after NAMM...

No retro Stratheads.
    Fender IMHO is trying to show Jackson as the hot rod, grinding axes. Pointy heads, etc. etc.

While Charvel has a proud pointy head past it also has a very prominent Strathead past. I am not sure how FMIC is marketing charvel or how it wants to portray them.
    The retro guitars from last year plus the EVH series was a good start to get some of the 'ol 80's shredders back into the fold.
    I am not saying they need to have a herd of strathead offerings, but man a model or two.
    I was expecting that at least one model would be released during the winter NAMM.

Is FMIC trying to make the stratheads so rare and exotic?
    or is FMIC so bent over heels in protecting the Strathead (Fender's trademark for Stratocasters) that they are limiting their own companies from issuing similar models?

Again, nothing against pointies, I've got one. But Charvels started as Stratheads, why not honor some of its heritage?
    Why have two pointy lines in your stable?

I am at a loss.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Re: I am soooo sad after NAMM...

FMIC seems to be approaching guitar manufacturing from a marketing standpoint. They were always lacking a presence in the metal world, and Jackson filled that niche. Why would they compete with themselves? We don't have to like it, but it makes good business sense. It is sad, though, that they have to approach something that envokes as much passion as guitars so sterily.

Comment

Personally I do not see a Charvel Strathead competing against a Stratocaster.

Single hum or HSS, wider neck and feel, different controls, Floyd maybe, graphics, no pickguard, etc.

I have never thought on my stable of dropping my SSS Strat for my retro Bullseye.
      Different moods, different sounds, different style.

In my limited brain they are two different animals.

Comment

Interesting and I am not surprised. Fender is so protective of the headstock, they are probably just holding back until summer to make the s-head Charvel "rare and exotic" as you put it. Another possiblity is that they are not impressed with S-Head sales so they are taking the line in the classic mid-late 80s direction???? I still think it probably has more to do with them not wanting that headstock associated with anything other than fender in the mainstream scene.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I still think it probably has more to do with them not wanting that headstock associated with anything other than fender in the mainstream scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so putting it on the EVH Charvels was a p*ss poor decision as more of those will go out the door than all other Charvels combined. Even though the numbers will probably be fairly small overall that's an amazingly visible instrument.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Really, have any solid numbers on sales. I know there are a lot of tire kickers on these things and a lot of people who WANT them, but how many have paid $2300 plus for whta amounts to being a $1200 guitar?

Do you know how many mucisians who are not Charvel/Jackson people I have spoken two who have no idea that Fender released these guitars? We may think that the EVH thng is the cats ass, but most people have no idea it is out there, let alone care.

Does anyone know if Fender advertized these things in an mags?
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

"I still think it probably has more to do with them not wanting that headstock associated with anything other than fender in the mainstream scene."

I think you are right.
              They are certainly not making a strong marketing push to bring Charvel into the scene. They are certainly pushing Jackson. Nothing wrong with that as I happen to like Jackson very much.

But in my 80's mind I see Jackson as an ultimate hot rod space age super strat and always remember Charvel as the upcoming, Strat friendly super strat with cool graphics and stripped down to earth features.
              There was a clear distinction between them as far as I was concerned. When they became one, I wasn't the happiest camper but figured that Jackson will eventually have the "Strat" option and their own pointy option for super strats. Of course that never happened.

When FMIC issued the retros last year and later offered the EVH I was so pumped, still are to some respect, but at least for the year it seems we are striking out.

Comment

In my opinion, I think FMIC has more to gain than to lose by making Charvel stratheads available on a regular basis. Personally, I have a few strathead Charvels I would like to have built, now that I can't it's not like I'm going to go out and buy a Fender instead. The strathead Charvel and Fender guitars are different beasts for sure. What most likely will happen is that I'll probably put those orders in with GMW after the new headstock designs are available. So basically, since Fender hasn't made Charvel stratheads available, they've lost my business to GMW. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  So basically, since Fender hasn't made Charvel stratheads available, they've lost my business to GMW. Does anyone else feel the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going to GMW to prove a point or because they have what you want? Your not going to get a strathead there either.
                  http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Charvel needs at least a catalog so they can promote the lines.
                    Now I see there is a new Charvel catalog after all.
                    So we will see.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      So basically, since Fender hasn't made Charvel stratheads available, they've lost my business to GMW. Does anyone else feel the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going to GMW to prove a point or because they have what you want? Your not going to get a strathead there either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going there to prove a point. I know GMW doesn't do stratheads. GMW can offer what I want minus the strathead. However if FMIC could produce a Charvel strathead that is on par with GMW then I would potentially go with Charvel.

Since Fender has yet to make Charvel stratheads available via custom shop or other means. I don't find myself wanting to get a Fender strat because there's no Charvel stratheads available. I find myself wanting to get a GMW instead. Basically what I'm saying is that FMIC could probably gain my business (my money)instead of losing it to GMW if they made stratheads available.

The GMW stuff (with or without stratheads)is closer to the San Dimas Charvel strats than anything Fender is producing. So I don't think Fender is going to lose business to Charvel if they make strathead Charvels available, I think they could only gain from that. Mainly because I feel the players that want a Charvel Strathead, want them because they offer different features than what the Fender Strats offer. I think FMIC could only profit with the Charvel stratheads. What do I know though, I'm just a guitar player. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Maybe they want to give the spotlight to Jackson for this show and will do some Charvel stuff at the next show? Can't push one line hard and neglect the other.

Comment

I agree with Tune-up,
                          Given no new strathead Charvels (I was so hoping for a hotrod flames with a floyd!), I'd rather go with GMW as the guitars are top notch and a decent amount cheaper, especially if you want something other than a solid colour. The only downside with GMWs is the resale, especially over here as hardly anyone knows who they are.....(mind you, I can't see me ever selling my GMWs, but it may well be a factor for other people)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Charvel line fades away again: the guitars seem to hang around in stores forever (there's plenty of anniversary bullseyes, quite a few 25ths and some ltd stars still available, never mind the standard line): just look at Wildwestguitars and Drumcity.

With regards to the competition argument mentioned above re: stratheads vs Fenders, I think the same applies for Charvel vs Jackson: IMO most folks will go Jackson (unless they really want a striped down guitar with a maple board) as to my eyes they offer more bang for the buck.

Just my early morning thoughts though!
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I am not very happy at how they have handled the Charvel line. An American Standard strat can be had around here for around $850 and up. I can't understand how building a Charvel would cost $600 more. The price has been the major thing keeping me away.
                            Seeing that FMIC has streamlined the J/C color options they should look at taking the two lines back to where they came from. Charvel high quality 22 fret bolt ons. Jackson high quality 24 fret neck throughs. To me Charvel vs Jackson has never been an issue except on this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I am not very happy at how they have handled the Charvel line. An American Standard strat can be had around here for around $850 and up. I can't understand how building a Charvel would cost $600 more. The price has been the major thing keeping me away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I like Charvels, but they are over priced IMO. Since they don't seem to be selling well (lots of them still available from dealers), I think Charvel should consider a price break. I would love to get a 25th Anniversary, but not $3000. They should really be priced around $1600 to $1800.
                              Jackson: DK1
                              Charvel: CS (CSB), SD (RGF), SD (Bullseye), SD '83 (HRF)

Comment

Working...
                              X