Charvel or Wayne??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel or Wayne??

I think that it depends to some degree on what you want. If you are thinking Custom, then GMW will get you something faster than Charvel. If you are thinking off the rack, there appears to be a steady number of new Charvels surfacing that will keep you happy. I expect that the playability should be on the same level.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      If you are thinking Custom, then GMW will get you something faster than Charvel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that is so true anymore. I have been waiting 5 months for a 1 hum, maple hockey headstock, alder body all white guitar. Nothing special there, and from what I gather I have seen some of the other guys here wait up to 20 months(now that's way too long)) for pieces. I know years ago they used to be quicker, but since word of mouth and forums I don't know if that is the case anymore. They might even be way slower due to the size of their operation and the amount of work they do for others.
      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Dealing with Michael & Wayne is horrible. 101 excuses, dropping rock stars names trying to legitimizes they way there made." oz fox, warren dimartini & eddie dont have these problems, they dont think its an issue...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Last time I saw Warren live, he was using a Fender Strat and I've never seen EVH with a Wayne... ever. Last I heard Wayne was closing up shop soon.
        [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          If you are thinking Custom, then GMW will get you something faster than Charvel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that is so true anymore. I have been waiting 5 months for a 1 hum, maple hockey headstock, alder body all white guitar. Nothing special there, and from what I gather I have seen some of the other guys here wait up to 20 months(now that's way too long)) for pieces. I know years ago they used to be quicker, but since word of mouth and forums I don't know if that is the case anymore. They might even be way slower due to the size of their operation and the amount of work they do for others.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 20 mos. and other longer waits usually stem from the refin/restore projects and serious custom material (like scratch built out-of-spec neck through dream guitars etc.), not the original custom builds. Lee's usual turn-around is about 6 mos. give or take (not the 3 mos. he quotes), although fender has been usually demanding on Dan L.'s time which I think is upping the delay. Also, Lee has had a real increase in demand and some associated supply issues.

That said, I was quoted 12 mon min for the Charvel CS that I ordered last August and the dealer thinks it will most likely be longer from how he is talking to me about things.

Not meaning to suggest that Lee is Mr. speedy, but just that all things equal, he will be faster than Charvel.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

OK, if this is a question about GMW or Charvel or Wayne.
            Then even easier.
            GMW ALL THE WAY!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

What Toru said! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I can't confirm or deny anything thats been said - I can only speak for myself. I currently have 4 Waynes - 3 pre 100 serials and one post 200 serial. They are so consistent that if you were blindfolded it would be nearly impossible to tell them apart. I also have 2 SD Charvels that I play about once a month - the Waynes are played daily. Haven't tried any Waynes with the new neck, but from what I hear, you can still order them with the original neck.

Comment

Tough decision, pro's and con's any way you go.

Charvel: Extremely high price, pretty good chance of getting a good guitar, resale value takes a big hit the day you take it out of the box but then retains it's value fairly well.

Wayne: Inconsistent guitars built by a family that lies about their place in C/J guitar building history and reuses early serial numbers multiple times. You couldn't pay me to deal with Michael Charvel.

GMW : Easily the highest quality guitar, long wait time, poor resale value.

Comment

GMW ,Poor Resale Value?
                    I think that could be wrong though.
                    Some of GMW guitars I have seen mostly with Stratheads are selling close to what people have paid for them.
                    If you bought a Strathead GMW for $1000-1300, you could get somewhere close t what you paid for them.
                    That never happens to newer Charvel or Wayne.
                    Other GMW stuff without Stratheads,I agree that the resale value are terrible especially if you paid a lot for new ones.

I have seen new Charvel and Wayne have much terrible resale values consider people pay a lot for new ones especially Wayne.

Comment

The GMW Rock Replicas always seem to get top dollar, the kramer replicas and the Charvy strathead replicas seem to go on ebay for their original selling prices or higher.
                      I love mine and I get offers for more than I paid for it all the time. Plus are you looking for a resale item or a guitar to hold on too that is pure quality and plays like a MoFo?
                      I'd go GMW, I'm going to have Lee make me one this year as soon as he's ready to start taking new orders.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

GMW strathead resale value is a non-issue for a guy looking for a new guitar. GMW won't make them anymore and that's why the ones that have already been made are holding their value....... Fender and the legal issue.

If it was me....... I'd just buy something used that was well taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                        X