Your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your thoughts

A proper setup, like some of the guys have suggested and what has worked great for me is Big Bends nut sauce.
    I had a bit of trouble with my Retro RW Bullseye.
    I tightened the springs and lubed up the nut, problem solved!!

If you plan to keep the guitar for a LONG time, add the Floyd.
    If you think one day you may sell it, keep it pristine.

Welcome to the forum.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      thanks guys, I appreciate all the info. Second question, i live near GMW, anyone have experiance with floyeds added to guitars by lee?

arpeggio

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee wont Floyd your 25th. Been down that road already with him about my bullseye. Says he wont touch it, too much trouble.

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I personally would Floyd it, in fact thats what I would do if I could find a deal on one .

I wouldn't worry about value, whats the value of a hunk of wood if you don't play it because it goes outta tune? If you bought for it an investment piece, thow it in the case and stick it under your bed for another 40-50 years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've come very close to doing the same thing. The vintage brass trem just doesn't look, feel, or play right to me. Nothing wrong with, but I grew up on floyds. In the end, it can be a difficult mod to do. Make sure you take it to someone that is very very experienced and they can show you some examples of their work. IE Don't take it to cousin Jim-Bob down the road that just got his new Ryobi router from the Sears catalouge and is itching to test it out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what is ironic is that back in the day (early 80's) people were doing this (modifying) their Charvels for the same reasons. After EVH exploded on the scene I think a many original v-trem Charvels got converted to a Floyd. Not to mention all those late 70's Stratocasters!!!

I say if you are gonna play it and you prefer floyd, slap a Floyd in there. I just got a new pointy and already swapped out the tuners, toggle switch and I am thinking the pkus are next to go, why because I want to play it.

Luckily for me these changes does not affect any value as no routing or extra holes have been needed. I say Floyd it if you want to play it.
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Well Trace if it gets used and has everything the way you want it, its worth it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It changes the value to you, not necessarily a dollar value increase (or decrease)
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

If the strings are wrapped correctly, they do the exact same job as locking tuners. If the strings are put on correctly and there is still tuning problems, the issue is somewhere else. All locking tuners do is isolate the string from movement in the capstan. Simply wrapping the excess piece of string under and over provides a clamping effect that 'locks' the string. If the tuners are sloppy and shitty, well, they are just bad tuners in the first place.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If the strings are wrapped correctly, they do the exact same job as locking tuners. If the strings are put on correctly and there is still tuning problems, the issue is somewhere else. All locking tuners do is isolate the string from movement in the capstan. Simply wrapping the excess piece of string under and over provides a clamping effect that 'locks' the string. If the tuners are sloppy and shitty, well, they are just bad tuners in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jim,

How about writing up a tech article on string replacement for the newbies and digital pictures would be great. I'll be happy to tack it at the top of the forum
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yeah, cuz I've seen this mentioned before, but never actually SAW it.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The "value" may well be increased with the Floyd on it as long as it's done really well. Do it.

Comment

Jim that would be a good article. I've been winding my strings that way for 40 years now. I don't remember who taught me, but I've been doing it the way you mentioned and never had any slippage.

On installing the Floyd, I'd say do it if you like the Floyd's capabilities, (like whammy and let the strings rattle, Dive Bomb etc.). If you use the Trem occasionally, or lightly I would keep it stock and do a good setup, including what Jim has said. Also....I learned from Dan Erlewine's ( a Guitar Player publication, you can get it from Stewart McDonald) book a long time ago is that the mounting screws can bind. Proper height of those screws is critical. As mentioned a Tremsetter is really effective with the vintage trem in returning it to neutral position. I have them on quite a few of my Strats. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I will put something together ASAP.

I also loosen the central 4 mounting screws and have the bridge rocking on the rwo outside screws. A proprly slotted nut, properly stretched strings, and learning and understanding the limitations of the bridge and tuning should not be a big deal. I learned how to use a Fender Jazzmaster with no mods, 100% stock without having tuning issues. Those are 20 times worse than any Strat trem.

Comment

thanks guys for your suggestions. I will try it, if it works I will keep it as is. I would like to see pic's of the string trick that Jim Shine was talking about if possible. But if all else fails, anyone in southern cal you guys recommend to do the floyd work?

arpeggio

Comment

locking tuners work really well. the string doesnt wrap around the post so they dont drag at the wrap when you return to pitch. and when you change strings rub the nut slots with a pencil to get graphite in there. go play a strat with locking tuners and a roller nut i think the deluxe comes that way and see if it holds tune. dont get me wrong im not a floyd basher i have a floyd on my axis and its great i just dont think you need to do it to yours to get it to hold tune.

Comment

The wraps will drag when the string is not secured to the capstan. If they are secure, once they stretch and settle, they will no longer move.

I had a Strat Plus for years and when I lost a couple of the locking pins in the Sperzels, I wrapped the strings like they were standard tuners. They worked identically to the locked strings. I did that for around 6 years.

Graphite in a crappy slot will not do much of anything. I like to clean the slots up with some fine sand paper to make them smooth and void of any and all burs or roughness. The I will put some graphite in the slot.

Comment

Working...
                                X