Your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your thoughts

Fit a Floyd to it.............In the long run, It will make mine worth more unmodified [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Seriously, I wish mine had a Floyd but I have to say that it sounds fantastic with the vintage trem. I just leave the arm in the case though as I don't trust the tuning with these units. I'm about to order a Star with a Floyd which will be my main player. (Does anyone know if the necks on the Star are similar to the 25th?)

Comment

never go up in value it will be the smae as the san Dimas Reissue on the 90's. floyd it move on. None of the new charvel will go up. even the bullseye from lloyd isnt a hot seller - it should be....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        even the bullseye from lloyd isnt a hot seller - it should be....

[/ QUOTE ]

Um .. it sold out
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Adding a Floyd will likely hurt the resale value. Add the fact that you will pay for the parts & labor and you are in the hole. Of course it's your guitar so go for it if you don't care about these things.

Plenty of good suggestions above. Tighten the trem. down fully, don't use it, get some Big Bends Nut Sauce, and string the thing up properly. There is no reason one of these won't play perfectly in tune if you don't use the vintage trem. (who does?).

As others mentioned, you need to do a wrap-over to lock the strings on the post. No locking tuners needed. Here is a link to a page that shows you how to do it if you don't know-

How to Restring Your Guitar

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if the necks on the Star are similar to the 25th?

[/ QUOTE ]

The new Star necks are identical to the original Pointyhead necks. I played the Blue/Yellow SpiralCheckered Star that Easton has at Summer NAMM, then got an 83 Charvel Star shortly thereafter - same neck profile, fretboard radius - everything.
            Strathead necks, as has been mentioned here, didn't really have a "set" profile like the pointies.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

floyd it, ruin the value of it, then sell it to me for more than what it cost you. it's that simple and i would want a floyd too. i buy 'em to play 'em. when i have money, which hopefully will be soon again, i will pay and over pay. ask anybody-lol
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Thanks Larry, that is exactly how I wrap them.

Comment

Wow,
                  thanks guys for all the help, this is great. Larry Langell, thanks for the link. I will give a shot.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The new Star necks are identical to the original Pointyhead necks. I played the Blue/Yellow SpiralCheckered Star that Easton has at Summer NAMM, then got an 83 Charvel Star shortly thereafter - same neck profile, fretboard radius - everything.
                    Strathead necks, as has been mentioned here, didn't really have a "set" profile like the pointies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Newc, I'd better order one up then!!!!
                    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

like tekky said Try Sperzel machine heads!!!
                      on my 83 they work just fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't Floyd it. All the previous suggestions should help. If not, put 5 springs in it and tighten the clamp all the way to make it a hard tail.

Regarding stringing technique, another site that shows it is at frets.com. The specific link is below.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...tringing2.html

Comment

Another suggestion to add to the mix - Use Cryogenic manufactured strings. I use Dean Markley Blue Steels and they definitely hold the tuning better even with trem use. Basically, they stretch much less than standard strings over the life of the strings.

Comment

What a great link, they even illustrate how not to do it:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh man, that's the most f'd up stringing I've ever seen

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not just the reverse-winding, but the criss-crossing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I might do that with one of my Floyded guitars just to f'k with people [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the 25th - Floyd it. Who's gonna buy it from you in the next 5-10-25 years? The same shmucks who are on this board.
                              Maybe by then they'll realize that Floyding a 25th Anniversary USA Charvel Strathead is far more in-tune with Charvel's Hot-Rod Heritage than an unplayed/unloved plank.

This is the 21st Century - stop using '60's tricks to correct a fundamental design flaw of the Fender-style tremolo. Floyd Rose racked his brains to come up with the only sure-fire way to whammy your head off and not go out of tune, so enjoy it.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X