Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Standard San Dimas vs Retro Bullseye

you know what they say about opinions .. lol
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yeah,only mine matters!!LOL!!

Comment

ummm...well...k maynard is right...a year and a half ago i was summoned to summer namm for the express purpose of putting 2 charvel stratheads in the hands of one mr. shannon so he could feel the necks (and to try out the anniversary strat-head)...sorry bloodsplatter if they dont feel like charvels stratheads to you...but they are...mike called it the "warren demartini neck profile"...wide and flat...those are the kinds of necks i seek out...and that's what the retro series necks were based on...thanks for the supoort KM....d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I know the history D.M.,just stating my opinion,no reason for you to apologize at all!!
          I don't think the Retros or the 25th neck profiles feel like original SD strathead profiles!!Very nice guitars(though not $2k plus nice guitars!!)but not a Charvel!!Again,just my opinion!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            ummm...well...k maynard is right...a year and a half ago i was summoned to summer namm for the express purpose of putting 2 charvel stratheads in the hands of one mr. shannon so he could feel the necks (and to try out the anniversary strat-head)...sorry bloodsplatter if they dont feel like charvels stratheads to you...but they are...mike called it the "warren demartini neck profile"...wide and flat...those are the kinds of necks i seek out...and that's what the retro series necks were based on...thanks for the supoort KM....d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DM, which two Charvels specifically did they use, that is what serial number (time frame) guitars were used?
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I second that, I think that would be cool to know (and maybe a pic for the masses as well!)
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

ya know - i have a few stratheads and none of them feel like my 25th. i did not hear that the new charvel strathead was based on an old one, but then again, nobody ever called to to tell me...

for that matter my wayne necks feel closer to a sd neck than my 25th does.....

i'm with splatter.....

Comment

one is a mutt that i bought off zakk wylde...yes that zakk wylde (alas no serial on that one)...lol...the other is now in the posession of charvel junkie...black and purple crackle strathead...visit his site www.tonywaters.net for more info...i remember it was late tho...high 4000's?...d.m.

Comment

oh...and the 25th was done before they got their hands on mine...it's the retro series that are based on mine...peace...d.m.

Comment

I think Fender should have sampled a few more necks, especially early serial numbered Charvel strat heads. That is just my opinion but I agree with others and those Strat headstock necks don't feel like my Charvels but what do I know...neck shape, feel and vibe are perosnal tastes and all mine ORIGINALS feel very similar in back shape (nut width on some are different).

The pointies are dead on..they missed the boat on the Strat Head necks IMO...you think they would have wanted more examples from different time periods instead of just two to get a true "average" dimensions/shape. Interesting they took only those two to make a template, I am disappointed in that personally but again just my opinion.

Wonder if your parts (mutrt) one and your late serial one by chance had a different profile than the "average" neck shape out there...interesting to say the least.
                      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Couldn't agree more Trace!!

Comment

actually judging by the logo...the mutt is an earlier one...little beefier in the neck but still very sweet...they didn't make actual templates tho...mike shannon felt them...told me every detail about them...and then he was responsible for the necks...i do know he has access to more tho...a lot more...i think the reason they went with 1 3/4 was because the pointies are known for 1 11/16 nuts...plus you now have the evh series with 1 5/8 nuts...so all the main specs are there again...should be something for everybody...d.m.

Comment

You see, this is what's so wrong with this whole new strathead neck debate. The new ones were based off certain legit old ones, so they're clearly true to the originals. ...But what originals? Well, since there were several different versions - who knows how many? - some folks think they aren't true to the originals they happen to remember or own. But that doesn't mean they're not actually "true". Just a different true than some would PREFER and/or have experienced themselves.

Are they legit? As far as I can tell, yep. Just not the version of legit that some folks would prefer. And then you get the odd anti-FMIC yahoos using this as a BS excuse to criticize, claiming that they're actually "Fender" necks or whatever. (...That's not directed at Chuck or Tracy, BTW. I understand what you guys mean by comparing them to other necks that you think have similar profiles.)

Comment

there's a simple problem here that everyone overlooks. Pointy charvels for the most part were relatively consistent unless custom ordered. Stratheads offered 3 different nut widths and neck shapes varied. It's entirely possible that the retros are correct to DM's strathead .. it doesn't mean what Chuck is saying is wrong based on his own experience. Again ..there are no rules regarding this stuff simply because of the nature of a custom shop ..

Sully and I laugh about this all the time because a lot of guys are considered to be screw counters but when you get right down to the heart of it... Thing were produced based on what was available to them .. If there was a certain tuner they were out of they grabbed something else that WAS available. Hell I had a good conversation with Dan Lawrence regarding the proper mixture of the original gun metal grey .. he said there was NO mixture they just mixed up a batch by eye until it looked ok .... LOL
                              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

my position was/is/and always will be - play it, if you like it,buy it. I love my 25th. would get rid of it for nothin. if charvel makes a different backshaped strathead and i like it - guess what i will do, you got it, buy it.

i don't sit here and compare the 25th to the SD's i have, because IMO, it's a stupid thing to do.

but i will throw this in as a head scratcher - i have an employee project jackson strathead, that is FAR closer to feeling like a sd than my 25th. you cant tell me that they can't do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X