Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real SD Charvie? Parts maybe?

Hey folks,
    A guy recently brought me a ton of guitars for setup/repair, and one caught my eye. I asked him about it and he said all he could remember is that he's had it for about 20 years, and it was a Charvel. It has a San Dimas neck plate, and the back routing looks correct to me, but the neck looks different. (No skunk stripe, and I'm not sure about the "rules" of the 12th fret dot spacing, etc)It also had a logo on the headstock at some point that looks like it's been worn off. It also has Schaller machines, so if it ever had crown tuners, they're gone now. So here's a few pics, if anyone can shed some light on it. (by the way, the Floyd looks funky because the posts have pulled up over the years, so the trem is sitting too far up towards the bridge pickup...the routing is factory) Even for being kind of neglected for 20 years, it still shreds! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Real SD Charvie? Parts maybe?

body looks right for a SD charvel, the neck isnt.

Comment

neck is not charvel but maybe the body is. Countours look ok although it's hard to tell, but a factory recessed trem?

Comment

Agree the neck is NOT Charvel,body could possibly be!!What's the serial # Tony??

Comment

I think it's 3121, but I'll check. (not at home at the moment) I'll take the neck off also and see if there's any writing in the pocket. Maybe I can get him to sell it to me, as he doesn't seem to even care about it.

Comment

I hope its not #3121...lol..I own that one.

Looks like a mod'd Charvel body, recessed floyd is aftermarket. Like others said, the neck is not Charvel. 22 fret charvel necks have a square fretboard end.

Check on that serial please...
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Why is michael jackson on this guitar?

Comment

Looks like #3231 in that neckplate pic Tracy!!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]I said, why is michael jackson on this guitar?

Fine, it made me laugh, screw you guys. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought it looked like jacko too.

Comment

For sure a Charvel (or possibly Jackson body, san Dimas route.
                      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Recess for the floyd and neck are aftermarket for sure.

My $0.2
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

O.k., more pics! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          The serial is 3231. Anyone know what it used to look like based on the serial? I'm kinda curious. After taking it all apart, it's obvious that the floating route was aftermarket. (which we all kinda figured anyway) The electronics cavity cover is metal, and it has a brass inset in it that everything is wired to.

And here's a pic of the writing in the neck pocket. It reads 3-28-84 with the initials NL. There's also some pencil writing in the pocket, but it's pretty faint and I can't make it out.

Any ideas what this started out as?

Comment

I am thinking a 2 hum white v-trem or Kahler equipped guitar originally..probably a pointy
                            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I agree with Tracy, I was thinking Kahler because of the route shape...
                              It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Working...
                              X