No announcement yet.

1982 Star restoration neer complete...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Star restoration neer complete...

This is a guitar I bought a while back. It had been stripped to bare wood. I will be making tweeks over time. I decided to keep it a floyd 2 hum but it was a vintage single hum...

Here is how it looked when I got it

Here is the restoration

http://www.nicholasleonard.com/ourwe...ars/kstar4.jpg
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Re: 1982 Star restoration neer complete...

Kev that looks fantastic...similar to Dokken's orignal Star that Witte now owns. Very cool..how did the paint, Dan??
    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Jim Shine is restoring a 1983 Charvel Star for me. It was repainted, but Jim is going to try and restore it to the original stock finish. I am indebted to him for taking on this job. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

It would also be fun to be in shoes and being "forced" (so to speak) to put a sweet refin on it like you are doing! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Who's doing the refin?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Tracy

You are correct, I was torn between the Dokken and his "Viva" explorer so I did features of both.

Paul at "BigHead" did the paint on this one, Dan did my 1980 Checkerboard Star

Comment

Very nice. Did Big Head do the paint? Been thinking about sending them a couple of my projects to paint.

-Jason

Comment

Kev, I also think cream pkus would be a great touch on that guitar..cream besels with solid cream or zebra pkus..what ya think

Paul did great job on that graphic..awesome stuff thanks for sharing the pics..very cool. Looks seeeeet
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

Thanks

Yup, the stripped wood made it easy for me to go with the refin. I own 6 virgin prepro star bodies so they will all be stock finish except one (2 flame maple, 4 paint). One had an evh red white that the store was stripping. We are going to restore the red and white...

I think Cream/Zebra would be great, should I leave the Chrome floyd, or go black with black knobs or brass?

I enjoy working with paul, he is really into paint...

Comment

I kinda dig the chrome Floyd....gold might look cool to. I think changing the pku and besels to cream/zebra will give her a nice touch.

Floyd color..hard for me to picture..I think black would be too much black IMO. I am thinking chrome or gold. But I am leaning towards chrome.

Comment

That neck is killer! Black 80s floyd/nut/tuners and loose the logoed pups and you are all set!
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

i love it, especially with the Chrome Floyd!

but how come you use only one spring? i've seen two, but thats the lowest i had seen, until this one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      i love it, especially with the Chrome Floyd!

but how come you use only one spring? i've seen two, but thats the lowest i had seen, until this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't look strung up, so I imagine he just had 1 to keep tension on it so the floyd would stay on.

-Jason

Comment

wwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks fantastic!
                          [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Kevin has been telling me to use Paul at Bighead for a long time...I finally tried them. The guitar isnt done yet, but he sends picture updates all the time showing the exact stage of the guitar...The pics of the star being painted are update pics from Paul.

I am having a Peavey Wolfgang painted in white HRF like this.

I would recommend Big Head guitars to anyone who doesnt want to wait 18+ months for Dan.

Kevin, the guitar looks fantastic!

Jason

Comment

Kevin,

Killer axe bro!!! Very sweet! Looks like Paul did a great job. Tell me, how long was the wait time for the paint?

-Kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X